Thread: FSA - Trained persons declaration not needed

FSA - Trained persons declaration not needed

Just found this on the FSA website. Is a game dealer really going to get out an official veterinarian? Surely this makes a mockery of the system?

TRAINED PERSON: Can deer be sent to an approved game handling establishment (AGHE) without a trained person's declaration attached?

If a deer is shot and a trained person is unable to do the examination, it can only be sent to an AGHE in exceptional circumstances. These may be that the trained person was unavailable to attend due to something unforeseen, such as an accident. In such cases the head and viscera (except for the stomach and intestines) must be sent with the body (suitably labelled if already removed) to the operator of the approved game handling establishment (AGHE), so that a full post-mortem inspection can be carried out by the official veterinarian.

That's how I understood it to be, if you aren't a trained hunter yu can still submit carcasses as outlined above.

It was like that when I started in 1961, there were no DSCs, Approved witnesses, Trained hunters certs etc. [ Deer were not easy to sell. I used to get a shilling per pound weight and have to take them 18 miles to the game-dealer. ]
    When the certs appeared in later years I did them and passed them as a personal challenge without doing the courses .
    The only course I went on to get a certificate was a Game Meat Handling one. As I was then operating as a semi-pro for a National Organisation I had to comply as it was one of their stipulations.

HWH.

But if we agree that training and accountability is a positive move with regards to supply of venison into the food chain (It protects us as stalkers as well as the end consumer) then this is surely a weak area?

My local AGHE request the same (except head) and the untrained hunter bags up the pluck and leaves his details.
    But what about the mesenteric and sub max, retro lymph nodes?
    More often then not disease usually shows in the mesenteric chain, that would not be included in the inspection.
    But we don't make the rules.
    Cheers
    Richard

Vets do get employed by AGHE's though

To be honest if you knew half of the diseases and parasites wild animals (including Fish!) have ......you wouldn't eat them!
    Most of them won't ever be detected or become a reason for condemnation

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    The whole system of AGHE is a mockery. It allows good AGHE's to operate alongside bad ones. I know AGHE's that quite happily tear off your labels and apply their own, some that have such poor storage facilities that I wouldn't buy their food and some that will accept carcasses and then just say they shot them and apply their own tags.
    Is it any wonder that poaching is rife when the very people we need to police their own profession (AGHE's) are willing to do pretty much whatever to make a quick buck. After all if someone gets sick from bad food the customer usually goes looking to the vendor not his supplier.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    The whole system of AGHE is a mockery. It allows good AGHE's to operate alongside bad ones. I know AGHE's that quite happily tear off your labels and apply their own, some that have such poor storage facilities that I wouldn't buy their food and some that will accept carcasses and then just say they shot them and apply their own tags.

some AGHE's dont even want a label!!