Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Reloading Press Coming.

New Reloading Press Coming.

The folks at the Trading Post got a good deal on a few of the new RCBS "Summit" reloading presses and offered me one at a few dollars above cost. It's an interesting design. I like the fact that it dosen't necessarily need to hang off a bench. Should be here in a couple of weeks...~Muir

SD Regular
    This is their knock off of the old Hollywood press that Elmer Keith writes about in his various books yes?

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    This is their knock off of the old Hollywood press that Elmer Keith writes about in his various books yes?
    It looks the part but the Hollywoods I've owned have had the ram rise from the bottom, not the die come down from the top. Might be. Same circular "ram" guide though.~Muir

I saw them advertised a while ago while I was looking for a press, but no stock I could find to buy.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I saw them advertised a while ago while I was looking for a press, but no stock I could find to buy.

Neil.
    midway have it in stock and at a hansom price !!!

RCBS Summit Single Stage Press - 9290 - Midway UK

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Surely that's just an upside down press with a bit of metal moved around for strength in the right places.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Humm! Remind me of a Wamadet press.

I am a dillin man, but I have heard good things about these.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    midway have it in stock and at a hansom price !!!

RCBS Summit Single Stage Press - 9290 - Midway UK
    So Midway UK want £338.

Whereas Midway USA charge $210, i.e. about £127.

RCBS Summit Single Stage Press

Sure there is VAT and duty to consider, but that's a pretty breathtaking mark-up.

I can't see what stops the die holder twisting about on the ram as it moves ? Is it just relying on the bearings in the linkage to keep it from rotating ? Any movement here would be much the same as wobble in the ram of a traditional press, so I'd be interested to know what restrains it.

Does it "cam over" or does it rely on a stop ?

I like the potential to mount it on a simple base for portability, with little need to clamp it down.

Very interesting, once available here at a more sensible price.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Surely that's just an upside down press with a bit of metal moved around for strength in the right places.
    I don't think so. A big difference is that the "ram" i.e. pillar is not on the same axis as the die. So there will be significant sideways forces acting against the bearing surfaces. Any slop or wear here will be magnified by the offset between ram axis and die axis, and it will need to be kept well lubricated to minimise wear and friction.

TBH I'm not sure its good engineering. ISTM it relies on massive construction and tight tolerances to work, rather than elegant design.

But if it works in practice, it has a lot of other advantages.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 29-01-2014 at 21:12. Reason: further analysis of design