New Reloading Press Coming.

Muir

The folks at the Trading Post got a good deal on a few of the new RCBS "Summit" reloading presses and offered me one at a few dollars above cost. It's an interesting design. I like the fact that it dosen't necessarily need to hang off a bench. Should be here in a couple of weeks...~Muir

This is their knock off of the old Hollywood press that Elmer Keith writes about in his various books yes?

It looks the part but the Hollywoods I've owned have had the ram rise from the bottom, not the die come down from the top. Might be. Same circular "ram" guide though.~Muir

I saw them advertised a while ago while I was looking for a press, but no stock I could find to buy.

Neil. :)

Surely that's just an upside down press with a bit of metal moved around for strength in the right places.

midway have it in stock and at a hansom price !!!

RCBS Summit Single Stage Press - 9290 - Midway UK

So Midway UK want £338.

Whereas Midway USA charge $210, i.e. about £127.

RCBS Summit Single Stage Press

Sure there is VAT and duty to consider, but that's a pretty breathtaking mark-up.

I can't see what stops the die holder twisting about on the ram as it moves ? Is it just relying on the bearings in the linkage to keep it from rotating ? Any movement here would be much the same as wobble in the ram of a traditional press, so I'd be interested to know what restrains it.

Does it "cam over" or does it rely on a stop ?

I like the potential to mount it on a simple base for portability, with little need to clamp it down.

Very interesting, once available here at a more sensible price.

Surely that's just an upside down press with a bit of metal moved around for strength in the right places.

I don't think so. A big difference is that the "ram" i.e. pillar is not on the same axis as the die. So there will be significant sideways forces acting against the bearing surfaces. Any slop or wear here will be magnified by the offset between ram axis and die axis, and it will need to be kept well lubricated to minimise wear and friction.

TBH I'm not sure its good engineering. ISTM it relies on massive construction and tight tolerances to work, rather than elegant design.

But if it works in practice, it has a lot of other advantages.

Last edited:
?
I like the potential to mount it on a simple base for portability, with little need to clamp it down.

This was the draw for me.
So here's a story. I was in the City this morning and stopped at Cabelas. They had one of these Summit presses in the box. The box had been opened and then taped shut. I asked the clerk to open the box so I could see the press and he had to defer to a manager who said "no". I pointed out that the box had already been opened and taped shut and he still said no. So I asked if they had one on display and he said, "No". So, I asked, one is expected to buy it without seeing it first??
"Yes."
Hmmmmm.........:-|~Muir

No! And I thought that the USA had a "can do" attitude about business. Hmm! Very poor marks for Cabela's.

Cabelas is generally overpriced and limited in selection. They carry a lot of some things, but not a wide selection of items. And their policies are questionable: My brother gave me a $100 gift card for Christmas. I got on line to buy a winter-pattern camo parka that was on sale. They wouldn't accept my gift card for "sale" items. I don't understand it. My Brother already paid them $100 for the card. (plus sales tax) I would think that it was as good as cash. Not so at Cabelas. I really don't like the place and seldom go in there. In my area, every sporting good/ gun store is cheaper and friendlier than Cabelas.~Muir

Cabelas is generally overpriced and limited in selection. They carry a lot of some things, but not a wide selection of items. And their policies are questionable: My brother gave me a $100 gift card for Christmas. I got on line to buy a winter-pattern camo parka that was on sale. They wouldn't accept my gift card for "sale" items. I don't understand it. My Brother already paid them $100 for the card. (plus sales tax) I would think that it was as good as cash. Not so at Cabelas. I really don't like the place and seldom go in there. In my area, every sporting good/ gun store is cheaper and friendlier than Cabelas.~Muir

That’s so very sad to confront as I’ve grown up in the mistaken belief they are to your hunting community what apple pie is to the rest of the US.

I think its all those Norman Rockwell-like front covers as once graced their weighty seasonal catalogues that has fooled me allied to the many hours spent salivating over the unobtainable goodies within. That and their Nebraska Superstore being a veritable Disneyland for any UK outdoor enthusiast.

K

When doing a bit of research a couple of years ago I seem to recall that their annual USA sales figure was something like an eye watering $4 billion. No wonder many of the US companies just can't be bothered to export anything over here.

That’s so very sad to confront as I’ve grown up in the mistaken belief they are to your hunting community what apple pie is to the rest of the US.

I think its all those Norman Rockwell-like front covers as once graced their weighty seasonal catalogues that has fooled me allied to the many hours spent salivating over the unobtainable goodies within. That and their Nebraska Superstore being a veritable Disneyland for any UK outdoor enthusiast.

K

They used to be that way. I used to go to the single Nebraska store back in the 70's. It was a great place. For guys like me the trend towards corporate focus is a real smack in the face. The greed in the place is palpable. Every store is controlled by the home office. It's crazy. If a guy trades in a collectible rifle at a Cabelas, the computer picks up on it and the store will get almost an instant notice to ship it to the corporate headquarters. Accordingly, the stores get junk to sell that is seriously overpriced and non-negotiable. I looked at a somewhat rare Thompson Center Contender barrel in 256 Winchester magnum last month and asked for a price. The salesman said it had to be sold as a set with a complete gun in 44 Magnum Shotshell. ($800 for the package: Ridiculous!) I told him to call someone because I'd pay $250 alone for that barrel. Nope! It was put with that crummy 44 magnum Shotshell gun as an enticement to for someone to buy what otherwise would be a dusty shelf spinster. I really tire of the artificial woodsy varnish on what is a gleaming stainless steel and fiberglass corporation. :cry: ~Muir

When doing a bit of research a couple of years ago I seem to recall that their annual USA sales figure was something like an eye watering $4 billion. No wonder many of the US companies just can't be bothered to export anything over here.

Pretty gigantic figure isn't it?

Back OT. I finally got a look at the press in question and told them to forget it. When I moved the lever there was a bind at one point in the stroke and I could see a wear spot starting on the column. Even at $175 I can miss it.~Muir

Midway UK may have the press now, but didn't at Christmas time.
There is also no way I'd pay that much for it either, it's more expensive than the Forster Co-Ax I wanted anyway.

Neil. :)

They used to be that way. I used to go to the single Nebraska store back in the 70's. It was a great place. For guys like me the trend towards corporate focus is a real smack in the face. The greed in the place is palpable. Every store is controlled by the home office. It's crazy. If a guy trades in a collectible rifle at a Cabelas, the computer picks up on it and the store will get almost an instant notice to ship it to the corporate headquarters. Accordingly, the stores get junk to sell that is seriously overpriced and non-negotiable. I looked at a somewhat rare Thompson Center Contender barrel in 256 Winchester magnum last month and asked for a price. The salesman said it had to be sold as a set with a complete gun in 44 Magnum Shotshell. ($800 for the package: Ridiculous!) I told him to call someone because I'd pay $250 alone for that barrel. Nope! It was put with that crummy 44 magnum Shotshell gun as an enticement to for someone to buy what otherwise would be a dusty shelf spinster. I really tire of the artificial woodsy varnish on what is a gleaming stainless steel and fiberglass corporation. :cry: ~Muir

"I told him to call someone because I'd pay $250 alone for that barrel."

Has a year really past so quickly? I seem to recall a self-imposed monthly spend figure of somewhat less!

"I really tire of the artificial woodsy varnish on what is a gleaming stainless steel and fiberglass corporation."

That's a user!

Cheers

K

Last edited:
Back