Thread: LBR info

LBR info

Hello,

I am about to the buy a 44 mag taurus LBR, but on the wrist braces there appears to be 2 different versions, one with the weight on the back and one more shaped into a wrist brace.

Does this show the age of the gun or is it a post purchase alteration.

Thanks
    john

Post purchase alteration. Have a look at the work of Allan Westlake on the internet.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

As I'm sure you know, they all have to be modified to comply with the law re: overall length. The two different styles may simply reflect who did the work (or what was requested.)

My preference is for the simple "straight rod" version (with or without weight) as I find the wrist brace/cradle interferes with some shooting positions while not offering any discernible benefit (to me, anyway.)

as 8x57 has poited out the one with the weight on the back as been altered after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    As I'm sure you know, they all have to be modified to comply with the law re: overall length. The two different styles may simply reflect who did the work (or what was requested.)

My preference is for the simple "straight rod" version (with or without weight) as I find the wrist brace/cradle interferes with some shooting positions while not offering any discernible benefit (to me, anyway.)
    Not entirely correct. The law required that such guns were built as section 1 firearms from new and not merely section 5 firearms (conventional pistols) that have been altered. Where LBRs have been altered to replace the bent wire arm brace with a rod and counterweight the gunsmith was supposed to affix the new rod before cutting off the wire coat hanger so ensuring that it never became a section 5 firearm at any time. I understand that there may have been some recent slight changes in the law with regard to how these "pistols" can be manufactured but I am uncertain on that. There has certainly been some relaxation as to how straight pull military type rifles are manufactured allowing the use of some components from previously self loading rifles to be used from what I read.

If some reports are true then Taurus have discontinued making such guns due to lack of demand for such long barrelled revolvers on which these are based in the U.S. and the very limited market in the U.K.

Thanks for the replies. What do people this is a fair / going price for a mint 44 mag (used)?

Bye a RUGER far better lbr tha the Taurus that is if you can find one best of luck

Hello, why are they better? They do not look better?

They not only look better but the quality is much better also. Unfortunately they are as rare as hens teeth and cost substancially more, that is if you can find one.