Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you set up your own private range on your own land?

Can you set up your own private range on your own land?

Hope this isn't a daft question. I've just put in for my FAC but looking at someone else's ticket it says you can shoot qualified game plus zero your rifle. Now, does that mean you're not allowed to actually just go and set up a range for practice or can you simply state that whatever practice you're doing is simply checking the zero.

I have 23 acres of land and can set up a range with targets at 50yds, 100yds and probably 200yds but want to check if it's legal to just go out and practice.

I've got a.50 yd range at home I've never had a problem

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I'll let someone with chapter & verse on the legality of such respond to the main question but would suggest you give equal consideration to who you may seriously hack off with the sustained report from a CF rifle. Even when moderated such intrusion into an otherwise peaceful landscape is all but sure to raise someone’s hackles in all but the most remote locations.

K

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I'll let someone with chapter & verse on the legality of such respond to the main question but would suggest you give equal consideration to who you may seriously hack off with the sustained report from a CF rifle. Even when moderated such intrusion into an otherwise peaceful landscape is all but sure to raise someone’s hackles in all but the most remote locations.

K
    So very true.

Even if you have a lot more than 23 acres and do it but rarely... One A-hole takes the peeve and you will risk some attention you'd rather not receive. Got the T-shirt.

This time of year here there is a constant roar of gunfire anyway . No-one complains about my zeroing shots even though it's only a mile to the nearest house.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler – 1933

Yes, I have considered noise as an issue. I don't expect to be spending hours a day practicing, I was more wondering about the legality of whether you were allowed to. I practice with my air rifle in my garden and that's never going to be an issue. I expect most of my practice will be with a .22 when/if that's granted but, again, I want to be sure of what I'm actually allowed to do. Being able to occasionally go and put some rounds down the range is part of both my desire to practice my riflecraft and also so that, if I am given a closed ticket, which is likely, then I'm using a suitable amount of ammunition to show that I'm working on my skills for the time when I wish to go for an open ticket.

I'll likely find a local club to join but, given that I have land available, it's good to be able to just go out and practice on a whim when there's some spare time.

Take the sensible precaution of notifying Police Control,they will log it and give you an Incident No....this covers one,s rear quarters and prevents a visit by ART..also takes the edge of any complaints by wannabe do gooders as you have been responsible and diligent

Also, we have a clay pigeon ground about a mile away and, at this time of year, there's always shots going off across the fields as people go bashing pheasant or pigeon. The joys of living in the country

Notwithstanding the wording of your FAC will play a key part in this, what is your local FLO for if not to guide you through such a potential minefield??

OK, perhaps not answer that!

K

If you get a closed ticket, you need to make sure your own land is deemed suitable for that calibre before you can fire a shot, even in your own garden.

Neil.