.308 WIN sub-sonic factory amo

Erik Hamburger

Please may I ask for some advise:

I want to do some target practice from different unsupported positions at, typically, 25-50 Meters. My objective is getting familiar with a new rifle and ching-sling (so the amo is not for hunting use) and keeping the noise down while practicing! Accuracy is not what I am after, just creating 'muscle memory' for unsupported standing or kneeling shots.
Is this type of factory amo generally available, what is the typical cost, and are there any issues (safety?) when using sub-sonic amo in a rifle with a twist and moderator designed for standard amo?
Thank you

you need a good backstop as they bounce around a bit !

you will be hard pressed to find factory and even harder pressed to find it at reasonable money and even then your rifle may not shoot it well?

sounds to me like you need either some snap caps or a .22lr of similar build to your 308 ?

You will get the majority of benefit from dry firing. Failing that then one of the laser-aim type systems may be a good solution?

Not looked deeply, but the only subsonic 308 I've noticed of late was in a trade list for Law Enforcement supplies and was strictly by the case of 1000.

Please may I ask for some advise:

I want to do some target practice from different unsupported positions at, typically, 25-50 Meters. My objective is getting familiar with a new rifle and ching-sling (so the amo is not for hunting use) and keeping the noise down while practicing! Accuracy is not what I am after, just creating 'muscle memory' for unsupported standing or kneeling shots.
Is this type of factory amo generally available, what is the typical cost, and are there any issues (safety?) when using sub-sonic amo in a rifle with a twist and moderator designed for standard amo?
Thank you

Availability and cost? Sorry can't help with those questions
I did buy some a couple of years ago,
It was Swiss, FMJ, 200 grain, 1050ish fps
Noisy despite being a subsonic round and altho accurate to 60ish yards dropped dramatically and skipped/bounced into the backstop.
Had no issues using it other than the lack of range

Availability and cost? Sorry can't help with those questions
I did buy some a couple of years ago,
It was Swiss, FMJ, 200 grain, 1050ish fps
Noisy despite being a subsonic round and altho accurate to 60ish yards dropped dramatically and skipped/bounced into the backstop.
Had no issues using it other than the lack of range

You say you want to get hold of subsonic factory ammo, but surely reloading a cast bullet would be safer, much cheaper and easier? I'm currently playing around with cast bullets and Trail Boss (though a small quantity of almost any fast powder - Unique, Red Dot, etc.) will do. These will push a cast bullet at 1000-1400fps (or slower if you're careful). Plus, if you're using soft lead rather than jacketed bullets, your probability of ricochet is much decreased, since they'll tend to flatten rather than bounce / tumble on impact.

Someone mentioned a .22LR - well - you can't get down to that kind of energy level, but as little as 400ftlbs with a 100-115gr bullet should be achievable. At that energy, the round will give little to no recoil and a be very cheap source of plinking ammunition. Probably still a bit much to be a rabbit gun, but you're only 100ftlbs over an HMR at much lower velocity...

Just a thought.

A simple Lee loader would do the job without a great deal of expense. I use 4.9g of Viht N310 and a 115g cast soupcan or round nose boolit, very accurate (at 25m) and has a MV of 978fps and a ME of 244lbs.

A simple Lee loader would do the job without a great deal of expense. I use 4.9g of Viht N310 and a 115g cast soupcan or round nose boolit, very accurate (at 25m) and has a MV of 978fps and a ME of 244lbs.

I use the same load as well if you want cast bullets dodyrog off here makes them:thumb:

Back