Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hilux cam belt change (sorry Norma you prompted me!)

Hilux cam belt change (sorry Norma you prompted me!)

My Hilux MK6 is a 2.5 diesel 2006, its done 70k and has been serviced annually.
    The book states cam belt should be changed at 100k or 10 years.
    Has anyone else risked taking it to the limit?
    I am getting a little jittery to say the least.
    Cheers
    Richard

No probs Richard better safe than sorry eh my l200 was done at 56k and nows done 105k and at 11 yrs old not worth much but she's a good truck for the sake of a few hundred quid I'm getting it done while I have the cash .
    norma

GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!

I could go into the reasons why but the noise from my wallet screaming in pain would just drown it out

Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I'm pretty sure the timing belt on a hilux only drives the pump, so if it breaks the engine won't be damaged.
    make sure you change the hydraulic tensioner too
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

just had my hilux done 90,000 best safe then sorry.

My Hi ace has the same engine as the hi lux it is just coming up to 150.000 miles.if you look after it they are good for 200.00 miles .
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    My Hi ace has the same engine as the hi lux it is just coming up to 150.000 miles.if you look after it they are good for 200.00 miles .
    Sold my hi ace with 280,000 on the clock to a friend , four years later it has done 370,000 and he has stuck to the regime of timing belt change every 70,000 and service every 5,000.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm pretty sure the timing belt on a hilux only drives the pump, so if it breaks the engine won't be damaged.
    make sure you change the hydraulic tensioner too
    Really?
    its an interference engine. Belt breaks you fubar the valves!
    change it, no that tricky on any car if you have a few tools and the Internet, with investing in OEM parts and doing the usual selection of ancillary parts at the same time
    thermostat, water pump, aux belts etc etc. they cost pennies compared to the ball ache of pulling the car apart

Totally different situation but my 86 "Hilux" (Toyota 4x4 Pickup, here) with a gas engine is waiting on warm weather for the timing chain guides to be replaced. The originals were plastic and one has broken off. The non OEM guides are steel, like they used to be before 1984. This is one time when OEM (plastic) is not the way to go.~Muir

Devon deer stalker I'll get it done mate, my hilux is sitting on 76k now and I'm booking it in for a belt change and a service. I'll do a service every 6k on my truck.