Thread: Annealing Nickel Cartridge Cases?

Annealing Nickel Cartridge Cases?

Has anyone done this?
    Is the process the same as for brass cases?
    Does annealing nickel cases produce the same desired effect as for brass?
    If anyone has the answers I'd be pleased to hear them. Cheers ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I think you mean nickel plated brass cases. If that is the case (pun) annealing will soften the brass base material the same as for yellow brass cases.
    Though it would be difficult to see the colour change on the shiny nickel surface which is the usual way of determining when to stop inputting heat.
    If the cases are nickel plated steel or solid nickel cases, (if such things exist) then annealing as per normal brass will not work.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    I think you mean nickel plated brass cases. If that is the case (pun) annealing will soften the brass base material the same as for yellow brass cases.
    Though it would be difficult to see the colour change on the shiny nickel surface which is the usual way of determining when to stop inputting heat.
    If the cases are nickel plated steel or solid nickel cases, (if such things exist) then annealing as per normal brass will not work.

Ian
    I used to form 256 Winchester Magnum from 357 Magnum pistol cases and in some cases, the nickle plating would come off after annealing. I know the last batch of nickle plated 280 Remington I bought had some flaking right out of the bag. Just an FYI. ~Muir

I'm sure they're nickel plated brass...Remington cases anyway. Bought new and now reloaded five times. They seem still good although I reckon probably work hardened now. Just wondering if I can get some new life into them. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!