Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fl dies

fl dies

Ive taken it for granted my dies have been factory set when I bought them, how do I check they are set correctly, as I have had quite a few cases split just up from the base I am woundering if the die is over resizing them and firing them is causing them to stretch that bit extra to fit chamber again, a few firings and they are splitting,my cases have been well used though, if someone could explain how to check dies I will, thanks swaro

whats is 'well used' ?
    cases work harden each time you resize them neck or full
    Full work hardens more of the case..so you get a number of cycles before the brass is scrap
    to offset the work hardening cases can be annealed ...extending the life of the cases
    some people get a few reloads before scrap ..others many more..
    depends on your load, the round itself the chamber vs the resize dimensions etc etc

Are you saying the case is splitting in the webbing rather than the neck?

Usually, work hardened brass will split in the neck, which experiences the most elastic motion between obturation and resizing.
    If your cases are splitting in the walls or webbing then this would more likely be a spacing issue on the rifle.

What caliber and is it a factory chamber or custom, is this a new problem or a long running since you've had the rifle?

Also not sure I follow this bit "a few firings and they are splitting,my cases have been well used though".
    Can't make out if the brass is well used or a few times fired...

Take a fired (in your rifle) and un-sized case.
    Try to chamber it in your rifle. @ this point it should not allow the bolt to lower.
    Loosen the die ring and back the die out three full turns.
    Now tape a roll of sparks tape and cut a small round patch the size of the cartridge base and set it aside.
    Slowly turning the die in about 1/8th turn @ a time, size the case.
    The trick is to size a case so that it will allow the bolt to close on the case, but will not allow it to close if the tape patch is placed on the base of the case before chambering.

The above procedure will give you 2/1000" head space, and should maximise the life of your cases.

I get this on my 308 and 6.5 06, my 308 brass is lapua,6 resizing max, some 3, my 25 06 brass was resized to 6.5 06, cant really say how many firings, lost count as I have remy, federal and winchester, all batched in brands, never had this when I neck sized my 25 06 brass through forster neck die, loads are pretty much maxed out.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I get this on my 308 and 6.5 06, my 308 brass is lapua,6 resizing max, some 3, my 25 06 brass was resized to 6.5 06, cant really say how many firings, lost count as I have remy, federal and winchester, all batched in brands, never had this when I neck sized my 25 06 brass through forster neck die, loads are pretty much maxed out.
    Gawd ! my .308 cases didn't start splitting the necks until they had been reloaded 10 odd times without annealing and then it was only 1 case that split on sizing and I decided to bin the batch (or I gave them to someone who needed free brass I forget) and that was PPU brass, how hot are you reloading them?

edit just saw your last post, you are loading max loads? then I guess you know why your cases aren't lasting then try some small rifle Lapua cases they are what the F/TR guys use
    Last edited by kennyc; 31-01-2014 at 22:46.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Measure a fired case from base to shoulder with a headspace comparator tool then adjust die to bump 2 thou
    once brass gets work hardened you will still need to screw die deeper and deeper for the spring back of brass
    once annealed or using new brass you will need to screw it out and start again or you will push shoulders way back

308 load is lapua brass,fed match gold primer,43grs of n540 and a 175gr smk,6.5 06 loads, remy case, fed match gold primer, 48.2grs n160 and 142gr smk, hunting load is same case, primer,51.5grs of imr 4350 and 120gr nos bal tips

You won't see any problem when using neck die's until they reach a case expansion point where they refuse to chamber due to case over stretch, at which point you would need to set the shoulder back anyway.

Simply sounds to me from what you say that the cases have been loaded numerous times with high pressure loads and now require replacing. Safest bet is to dump the lot and replace them.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.