Thread: Jagen Weltweit and Langwell Estate

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Jagen Weltweit and Langwell Estate

Just sitting in the departure lounge at Dusseldorf airport and thought I'd buy a German hunting magazine. As ever, looked for one with a DVD on the cover so bought a copy of Jagen Weltweit (Hunting Worldwide).

Inside there's an article on stalking red stags on the Langwell Estate, up near Ullapool (Highland Shooting Lodge,Langwell Estaate). It looks like a cracking piece of country and they're still using garrons to carry out the stags. I see from the article that you can rent the lodge and the stalking.

Has anyone tried Langwell and, if so, can it possibly be as good as it looks?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Know there have been some terrific stags shot up there over the years as I've seen an odd head from there and a good few pictures.
    My old boss owned a big chunk of the land up there

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    Know there have been some terrific stags shot up there over the years as I've seen an odd head from there and a good few pictures.
    My old boss owned a big chunk of the land up there
    Cheers for that.

The heads in the photos in the magazine look very like what we get in Sutherland - not particularly big but nicely proportioned and what I would call a "classic" highland head.....and dark, dark, dark, with all that peat.

willie_gunn

Classic heads for sure.
    There was and maybe still is a real beauty hung in the estate "club" from the early 20's .
    Never made it up there myself but met the Head Keeper from there a few times when the factor brought him down for the agents day shoot.

I was stalker/Keeper there for a number of years when in the ownership of Mr. A.W. Fenwick. Great stalking country and nice quality heads though not heavy body weights. Some Sika present too - and back in those days Grouse too, which were shot over pointers. In my time there several guests managed the true Macnab - Grouse, Salmon, Stag. ATB Bill. .
    Last edited by Bill Bartlett; 31-01-2014 at 18:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bartlett View Post
    Looking at the pisc I think the current stalker is Macol.
    Doh!!

Now why didn't I think of looking online: http://www.jww.de/cgi-bin/r30msvc_me...0117095012.jpg

willie_gunn

Nice to hear about Ullapool. When i was young (20 years ago) i went to an estate near Ullapool a couple of times. Shot my first stag ever on Sgurr Mor. Ahh memories.....

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Just sitting in the departure lounge at Dusseldorf airport and thought I'd buy a German hunting magazine. As ever, looked for one with a DVD on the cover so bought a copy of Jagen Weltweit (Hunting Worldwide).

Inside there's an article on stalking red stags on the Langwell Estate, up near Ullapool (Highland Shooting Lodge,Langwell Estaate). It looks like a cracking piece of country and they're still using garrons to carry out the stags. I see from the article that you can rent the lodge and the stalking.

Has anyone tried Langwell and, if so, can it possibly be as good as it looks?

willie_gunn
    D

Check last week's Shooting Times as it has the breakdown of Reds across Scotland for 2013... If you don't have, I'll email you what, if anything, they have reported

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)