Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit of advice needed but no about stalking

Bit of advice needed but no about stalking

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	37438Out stalking yesterday and spotted a bird of prey that looked very much like the one in the picture. The area is due to be felled my question is do I let anyone know about this bird or keep quiet as it may attract unwanted attention to my shooting grounds.
    Much appreciated.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    If it's a hen harrier (they are pretty unmistakable) then you can count yourself:

(a) very lucky, because they are beautiful birds of prey and on the critical list here in the UK (BTO BirdFacts | Hen Harrier).
    (b) very unlucky, because if you tell any of the birding organisations about them you will be inundated with twitchers wanting to see them, the resulting disturbance causing said hen harriers to disappear sharpish. Alternatively you may also find people who would wish to turn their hand against the harriers, which is equally depressing.

The disappearance of the hen harrier, for whatever reason or reasons, is one of the real tragedies of UK wildlife. My limited exposure tends to make me think that fault lies on both sides. Anyone who has had the pleasure of watching hen harriers hunt is unlikely to forget it - they are known as "sky dancers" for good reason.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Keep quiet, they do not require the trees, they are a bird of open moorland for hunting and breeding, loosing the tees may even help them, great sighting.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Thanks for the replies. Definitely don't want heaps of folk ratching about. I'll try and get some actual photos of it.

We get them here along with occasional montagues harrier and plenty of marsh harriers.
    incredibly agile covering the flat ground here about 10ft up then stooping onto the partridge.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Please just enjoy it while you have it and keep it secret!

As Willie says they are on the Red List due to declining numbers and any notification at all will only help it's demise.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Keep quiet, they do not require the trees
    On ground I stalk we have some which are believed to nest in trees!! My understanding is that they are the only ones in the British Isles known to do that but I may not be the only person with some doubts as to whether they do it at all.

For some reason harriers seem relatively common around me in the sense that no matter where I go there seem to be good numbers of them, even in places where the RSPB maintain, for their own reasons, that there are none at all.

There also seems to be a lot of politics surrounding harriers and given that I'd say as little about them as possible.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    On ground I stalk we have some which are believed to nest in trees!! My understanding is that they are the only ones in the British Isles known to do that but I may not be the only person with some doubts as to whether they do it at all.

For some reason harriers seem relatively common around me in the sense that no matter where I go there seem to be good numbers of them, even in places where the RSPB maintain, for their own reasons, that there are none at all.

There also seems to be a lot of politics surrounding harriers and given that I'd say as little about them as possible.
    Most of their most damning figures relate to breeding birds in England, I believe last years figures were just one successful pair, that's not say there aren't a load of birds floating about the place, but that doesn't sustain a population though.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

That's what I'll be doing. Keep quiet and get some pictures. Hopefully there will be a pair or more. Fingers crossed.

Male Hen Harrier, was lucky enough to observe for quite a long while this bird on the old B.A.S.C. Galloway scheme.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!