Thread: .243 for Boar in Germany?

.243 for Boar in Germany?

I am going boar shooting in Germany from high seats under the moon over new year which I am excited about.

The hosts have told me to bring my .243 and they have said many people shoot boar in that region with .243's?? Apparently it is legal if the bullet delivers more than 2000 Joules of energy at 100m which a 100gr bullet does from a .243 but I am not sure I feel very comfortable about it. Has anyone ever successfully shot a boar with anything under a .270?

Having read the posts on this forum it looks like .270 is the minimum anyone would suggest including DEFRA.

Be interested to see what anyone thought about this.

Thanks

SKB

When i was planning a trip to Germany, my uncle said I 'could' bring my .243 but I'd be much better off with my .308

Gez

First thing i'll say is that i've never shot a boar. My thoughts on this subject are, if the choice is use your own .243 and scope that you are confident with or use a larger loan rifle that you have never seen before, I would go with your .243 every time. I guess from a high seat, your shot placement has the potential to be spot on, it would be a different story if driven shooting was involved. Obviously bullet type will be important and I'm sure some of the lads on here will have advice on this. Best wishes, JC

Well, I've shot a lot of Boar in Poland with my .243 but this was years ago before it became a legal requirement to have a larger calibre + energy. You may be right about the energy delivered at 100m but just like our own calibre/energy limits for different species - it's not JUST energy but ALSO actual bullet diameter. Last time I looked at my tables, I could not find any .243 bullet capable of delivering 2000 joules at 100metres.
    In practise i would urge you to use a heavier calibre (I use a .308 because it's great for ALL our own deer species here with no venison damage). The best advice I can give (based on having shot well over 200 boar now) is to go for any calibre which is slow and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by countrysports5
    Well, I've shot a lot of Boar in Poland with my .243 but this was years ago before it became a legal requirement to have a larger calibre + energy. You may be right about the energy delivered at 100m but just like our own calibre/energy limits for different species - it's not JUST energy but ALSO actual bullet diameter. Last time I looked at my tables, I could not find any .243 bullet capable of delivering 2000 joules at 100metres.
    It's not realy true, at least not in Poland. Polish law says that you need 2000J of energy at 100m for shooting boar, except small ones (younger than one year old, then you need a rifle delivering 1000J at 100m). The limit for any animals is 5.6mm, which is .222. You can also use shotgun slugs.

For instance 90 and 100gr Sako deliver 2150J and 2360J respectively, are legal and frequently used.

Regards,
    Greg

In Germany, the law is a minimum calibre of 6,5mm diameter and minimum 2000 joule energy on 100 meter for game bigger than roe deer. So .243 is definetely illegal for wild pigs - even if it´s a 10kg youngster!!

For roe deer, minmum calibre is .222.

Waidmannsheil! Andreas

OK what glogin says is I'm sure wil be correct. I should have said I was mainly speaking about driven boar. In any event, all these calibres are minimum requirements and are not necessarily the best.
    Bit like our stalking laws - just because the law says one thing, it does not mean you have to stick rigidly to it but to take note of traditions and 'best practise' etc. etc. !

Thank you all for your excellent advice. I think I will borrow the 8x57 that I have had offered to me out there. I will take my .243 for the roe only.

I go a week tomorrow and am getting very excited! I will provide you with a detailed report of the trip when I get back.

Thanks again.

Further to the replies, from one of my experiences in Germany.
    I was sitting for boar on a full moon night, it was quite light but really cold. I was in an open ladder over a turned over maize field. I'd sat for a couple of hours and then spotted a group of 18-20 pigs down the bottom end of the field. Slowly they made their way up towards me when I selected the animal I would go for. They stopped about 45m in front of me, I took aim and fired. The world erupted and the whole group turned and ran up the field. With a torch I approached the shot sight to find nothing, no blood hair or anything. I thought at 45m even I couldnt miss. At the top of the field was a track where it crossed into the woods.After 30 minutes of searching I found one drop of blood on a leaf, so I rang the shoot leader who told me to mark the site and it would be found with dogs in the morning as it had crossed onto the neighbours land. The next morning the pig was found , the bullet had gone in, taken out the heart completely but hadn't exited. The pig had ran 120m uphill over the field , then 60m into thick wood on pure adrenaline.
    The animal was shot with a 308 win using a 180gn bullet, and it still ran. Just goes to show calibre/bullet selection is very important. A lot of people regularly use 9.4mm but 308/30'06 is a very popular starting calibre.

Gdr1,
    I had exactly the oposite happen when I was in a High Seat in Northern Germany in 1972.
    I was in a 'high Seat' more like a shed on legs really, again like you, at night with a friend that had a .222, he had been Roe stalking earlier and decided to visit me for a cup of coffee.
    I was after just one pig for a birthday barbecue over some fresh potato mash put out specifically to draw the pigs.
    As I was making the coffee, my friend was keeping watch, I heard 'bang' and my friend turned and said "That looked just right for the Barbecue" and sure enough there it was dead as a door knob almost under the hut.
    I would not recommend a .222 for the job but I would certainly have thought ranges from a high seat at night would have been well within the capabilities of a well placed 100gn bullet from a .243
    As has been said earlier, bullet placement is very important and Driven Boar, with the adrenalin up, is a completely different ball game.