Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time with Sikamalc

First time with Sikamalc

I have just returned from a stalk with Sikamalc in West Sussex. I am a complete beginner on the stalking front, having been taken out by a friend just before Xmas, so this was only my second stalk. Malc is a very knowledgeable chap and easy to talk to. We started out dropping Andy of at a high seat, then we walked through the forest to a ride and waited for a while. We did not see anything except a cow, which got my muscles twitching as I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye. Mind you it was not surprising as any deer with any sense was under cover in the dry.
    We moved deeper into the wood, and waited near a high seat, but the deer had more sense. Malc then suggested putting me in a high seat, so back to the pickup to go to another section of the wood. Was taken to the high seat and I sat there for about 30 minutes, before it started to get a bit too dark. Oh it was really starting to rain now. Got back to Malc's place, to find him and Andy already there. We chewed the fat a bit, then it was time to leave. I enjoyed the afternoon even if the weather was a bit suspect and met two nice blokes. Thanks

I spoke to Malcolm this morning and heard how the weather was against you, it happens I'm afraid. Better luck next time.

Did you hear that Andy shot the lone Rangers horse, he claims it was a white fallow

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Don't worry about it too much. It's frustrating, but I shot my first deer with Malc after several fruitless attempts. The first time was two stalks in heavy rain which wasn't ideal (probably what you've experienced). Then a few months later, a high seat came up trumps. The next morning was so foggy that we couldn't see beyond maybe 30m for most of the morning. Malc still valiantly tried to find deer, but we just couldn't see anything. A month after that, I went out one morning with someone else in pouring rain, but this time shot two roe does. Back to Malc's a few months later for roe bucks, and never saw one at all. Nature is fickle and totally uninterested in your agenda!

I'm off now for my last attempt at the ducks of the season on Sheppey. Ducks are even more infuriating than deer, especially when the entire country has become a pond. At least deer can't fly! If you think stalking is unpredictable, try wildfowling some day...

Good luck, it will happen eventually!

It was nice meeting you Tony, I hope you get better weather next time and im sure you will soon get your first deer.

Atb Andy.
    P.s its a fallow and not the Lone rangers horse John

as far as I am concerned a bad day shooting is better than a good day at work

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    as far as I am concerned a bad day shooting is better than a good day at work
    +1 , Been stalking with Malc a few times now, got my first Roe buck with him down in west sussex.

Funny that,i always thought ANDY was the lone ranger!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 270TOMMY View Post
    Funny that,i always thought ANDY was the lone ranger!!!!!!
    No Tommy no, the Lone Ranger needed Tonto to guide him about a bit, but Andy is "The Senior Guide" and has the offroad slippers to prove it .

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

funny I did notice the slippers before we went out

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    No Tommy no, the Lone Ranger needed Tonto to guide him about a bit, but Andy is "The Senior Guide" and has the offroad slippers to prove it .

John
    Thats not funny john (PML)!!!!!!!!!!!!