Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value my scope ?

Value my scope ?

I have a leupold 1.75-6x33 gold series with 30-30 crosshairs in perfect condition . 1 inch tube . What's it worth ?

About 7.61, which I can send immediately.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

100 I would have thought as a minimum.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    About 7.61, which I can send immediately.
    Best send it then mate

About 100 quid , to be honest leupold are kind of mid range optics , not crap but not amazing either especially when compared with top end European makes
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Ignore them.

The Leupolds I've used have all been far better than average. I have an illuminated VX-R that I took boar hunting in Croatia and it's a delight to use. The chap I guide for has M8's on all his rifles and they've never given him a moment's problem. Oh, and the warranty is as good as anything you'll get from a European manufacturer, regardless of whether you're the original owner or not.

You might get 5 minutes more from Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and the like, but you're paying a significant premium for what at the end of the day is a marginal advantage. If you can find a buyer who isn't affected by the "snob" factor you'll get more than the pittance some are suggesting.

Before the critics start, I also own four Zeiss scopes, a pair of Swaro binos, two Swaro spotting scopes, two pairs of Leica binos and a Leica rangefinder.....but that doesn't stop me telling it like I see it.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Ignore them.

The Leupolds I've used have all been far better than average. I have an illuminated VX-R that I took boar hunting in Croatia and it's a delight to use. The chap I guide for has M8's on all his rifles and they've never given him a moment's problem. Oh, and the warranty is as good as anything you'll get from a European manufacturer, regardless of whether you're the original owner or not.

You might get 5 minutes more from Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and the like, but you're paying a significant premium for what at the end of the day is a marginal advantage. If you can find a buyer who isn't affected by the "snob" factor you'll get more than the pittance some are suggesting.

Before the critics start, I also own four Zeiss scopes, a pair of Swaro binos, two Swaro spotting scopes, two pairs of Leica binos and a Leica rangefinder.....but that doesn't stop me telling it like I see it.

willie_gunn
    WG fair enough I understand you're telling it as you see it but so am I ?? And in my view leupold scopes have been inferior to other top end scopes I've owned / used , yes you're correct you do pay a bit more but I have to disagree that you would only gain 5 mins from top end optics in my experiance it's quite a bit more , also if you're going for the top end leupold line you're paying almost as much as top euro makers so why bother ? Not wanting to cause an argument just saying as I've seen it

atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    WG fair enough I understand you're telling it as you see it but so am I ?? And in my view leupold scopes have been inferior to other top end scopes I've owned / used , yes you're correct you do pay a bit more but I have to disagree that you would only gain 5 mins from top end optics in my experiance it's quite a bit more , also if you're going for the top end leupold line you're paying almost as much as top euro makers so why bother ? Not wanting to cause an argument just saying as I've seen it

atb Jim
    Jim

Quite understand, and I'm not looking for an argument either.

As with so many things, there is a lot of individual opinion - both objective and subjective - involved. I've seen it in fly fishing as well, where the kit bigots and salespeople will tell you that, if you don't have the latest 1,000 Sage rod and 600 Lamson reel, then you're unlikely to catch a fish. Funnily enough my 50 secondhand, ten-year old Orvis rod from eBay, and the 60 Pfleuger reel from Shakespeare don't seem to know that......and neither do the salmon!

When it comes to stalking I don't think the deer know what brand of kit you're using either.

Don't get me wrong, I really admire expensive kit - heaven knows I've got plenty of it myself - but I can't understand why people denigrate kit like Leupold that's proved itself year after year, all over the world. It may not have the latest whizz-bang option that Swaro or Zeiss use to convince their owners to upgrade, but at the end of the day the deer will still be dead and the kit will still be good.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I too have had some top end scopes but have always found that the Leupolds are the ones that stay on the rifles. But what do I know? I still keep a couple of Hawkes on my rimfires.
    You can spend a fortune on glass if you want to but you will never shoot vastly more quarry to justify the cost!

It is worth what someone will pay, but 100 would be rock bottom price and wouldn't let it go for less.
    atb blue