Thread: black pudding from deer???

black pudding from deer???

can u make black pudding from deer blood.love proper black pud and the french edible skin pudding but no one ive asked seems to know .if u can anybody got a recipe for this cheers in advance

Established Poster
    A quick check on the Googlater found this - Recipe: New Zealand Venison Black Pudding, Poached Eggs, and Curry Hollandaise which has a recipe.

good man thanks very much .the black pudding yes ,the curry hollandaise noooo just wrong

Established Poster
    You're welcome! I agree, curry hollandaise would be OK with say, smoked haddock (a la kedgeree style) but with black pudding? Bleuch...

I think there is a French venison black pudding, traditional that is. It makes sense to me not to waste anything! I have even contemplated how to efficiently collect the main ingredient. I would not hesitate to make it, it is just getting enough blood to do a cooking session justice. I do like good old Lancashire blood pudding so why not venison? Any tips on collecting appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    I think there is a French venison black pudding, traditional that is. It makes sense to me not to waste anything! I have even contemplated how to efficiently collect the main ingredient. I would not hesitate to make it, it is just getting enough blood to do a cooking session justice. I do like good old Lancashire blood pudding so why not venison? Any tips on collecting appreciated.
    I thought about this but haven't tried it yet:

Ideally use a head-shot deer.
    Instead of bleeding in the usual manner, dissect out the oesophagus as normal but use the same cut to find the jugular vein (internal jugular and carotid artery together, I think).
    Follow it toward the chest, trying to free it up along the way.
    This should give you a length of vessel long enough to get into the neck of a clean receptacle.
    Ensure the carcass is either hanging or lying in a head-down inclination.
    Cut the exposed vessel at the head end and tuck the cut end (the side that is heading to the chest) into your receptacle.
    Marvel at huge volume of liquid black pud draining into receptacle.
    if no flow, look and feel for a valve in the vein, cut the vessel again on the downstream (heart-side) of the vein.

Let me know how you get on!

Olaf usually seems to have a few recipes, why not drop him a PM ?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    I thought about this but haven't tried it yet:

Ideally use a head-shot deer.
    Instead of bleeding in the usual manner, dissect out the oesophagus as normal but use the same cut to find the jugular vein (internal jugular and carotid artery together, I think).
    Follow it toward the chest, trying to free it up along the way.
    This should give you a length of vessel long enough to get into the neck of a clean receptacle.
    Ensure the carcass is either hanging or lying in a head-down inclination.
    Cut the exposed vessel at the head end and tuck the cut end (the side that is heading to the chest) into your receptacle.
    Marvel at huge volume of liquid black pud draining into receptacle.
    if no flow, look and feel for a valve in the vein, cut the vessel again on the downstream (heart-side) of the vein.

Let me know how you get on!
    Okay I will try, thanks for thinking it through...