Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive outfit - from boots to gun

Question Inexpensive outfit - from boots to gun

This topic came up between friends during some 'campfire chat' a week or so ago and we covered a lot of ground, from clothing, boots, bins, right through to guns, scopes and other whatnots.

I know there are a good many threads on specific items, but if you were to assemble a reasonable kit list for someone venturing into stalking, what direction would you go in if offering advice ?

The main reason I ask is most of us argued the case for items of gear that performed well without costing the earth.

That's "performed well" without an claim or expectation of matching high end gear.

We were talking along the lines of inexpensive, not cheap. There's a difference...

Everyone's financial situation is different but it's a simple fact that there are more folks who can afford Nikon Prostaff, Vortex Diamondback up to Nikon Monarch (for the sake of an example) than the big name scopes.

One of my friends suggested the Nikko Stirling Diamond fixed mag scopes as being perfectly adequate for stalking. I can't comment, never having owned or used one, but he had good things to say about them.

There is gear out there that can do a damned good job without breaking the bank in the process. We aren't trying to compare apples and oranges here so much as put together a list of comparatively inexpensive stuff that could still serve purpose.

What kind of stuff in general do you tend to suggest to potential newcomers who may not have the means or the inclination to spend fortunes, perhaps not until they decide whether stalking is something they intend to stick with and invest in for a longer term.

Thanks for looking

Well for me everything would be secondhand. Big saving immediately.
    Deerstalking, scope, Meopta, cheaper than the expensive stuff and nearly as good. You need good optics to see at last/first light and nothing else cuts it, you have to spend good money on a scope. 3-12x50 secondhand about 350 my second choice for the money would be a leupold. You can get good fixed scope for the same but I prefer variable.
    Rifle, tikka or CZ. Nothing fancy, good accurate working guns.
    moderator, jet z. Compact and quiet.
    clothing, you can go cheap with ex army. There is alway a bargain somewhere if you want stalkers clothing. I bought a cheap jacket and trousers which were lined and waterproof. Cost me 60. I re proofed them a while ago and went out on a days stalking and it persisted down. I stayed dry.
    knife, something like a mora. Paid 7 for one at a show. Although I do tend to use a cheap but good lock knife which was a present for skinning. It keeps a good edge.
    glove I wear neoprene which I got from go out doors, cost me 6 a pair and have been worn in all weathers.
    boots waterproof with gaiters.
    home made quad stick.

there is loads of other kit but let's not bore everybody. I sure there will be a few arguments
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

well for me everything would be secondhand. Big saving immediately.
    wife ? :-p
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Wife is well handed
    Hmmm don't know if that sounds good or not. The beer hasn't quite worn off yet.

oh yeah and she's from Yorkshire.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Wife is well handed
    Hmmm don't know if that sounds good or not. The beer hasn't quite worn off yet.

oh yeah and she's from Yorkshire.
    shes one of the master race then! lol

I always buy 2nd hand good quality stuff so save a fair bit there there are some things you get what you pay for eg boots but for years I've worn Matterhorn army surplus boots and they are very good generally get a pair for about 40 quid and in years past I've really abused them and they've stood up well
    atb Jim
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

army surplus and egun and good shoes... It's what's in your heart that counts not what's on your back.... 2 of my guns are prolly 20 years or more older than me and one is almost as old... They look good and are serviceable/accurate. Got all three and a safe to keep em in for about what some folks pay for jacket and pants....

army surplus parka ,waterproofs n boots .all my reloading gear is 2nd hand always someone giving up due to circumstances,nagging wife ex wife etc.check guntrader for bargins

I reckon you can get kitted out for stalking with everything new for under 1500 ,

Howa package deal comes in at around 900 , Howa 1500 Synthetic .308 Package Deal For Sale ,

Some decent boots 160 ,Lowa Mountain Boots Gore-Tex® Lined

Clothing 150 Laksen Stalker Shooting Set

Some mid range binos , a hunting knife and other accessories and your fully kitted , you could spend thousands more on the same bits of kit but you would not get any more meat in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    I reckon you can get kitted out for stalking with everything new for under 1500 ,

Howa package deal comes in at around 900 , Howa 1500 Synthetic .308 Package Deal For Sale ,

Some decent boots 160 ,Lowa Mountain Boots Gore-Tex® Lined

Clothing 150 Laksen Stalker Shooting Set

Some mid range binos , a hunting knife and other accessories and your fully kitted , you could spend thousands more on the same bits of kit but you would not get any more meat in the freezer.
    that looks like some good stuff... Think I'll see if they'll send the laksen stuff to me.....
    Thanks....

if u want goretex boots on a budget mrs ere indoors got me a pair of total fishing gear boots in their sale for 50 quid 2 years on still not leaked ,then again my army highleggs havent leaked either and there 25 years old