Thread: Harkila Pro Hunter trousers need re waterproofing

Harkila Pro Hunter trousers need re waterproofing

My trusty pro hunter trousers seem to be losing their waterproofing a little around the knees and thighs at the front. They only ever get washed in water with no detergent so was thinking of washing them with some NikWax Tech Wash - (Nikwax Tech Wash Non-Detergent Technical Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Sports Outdoors)

Is this the best method of getting them back to waterproof again ?

Any other suggestions/ideas appreciated

Invest in some nikwax TX direct spray on as well, as soon as they're out of the machine give them a good going over with the spray. Then if the care label allows put them on a low tumble dry or leave them somewhere warm to dry. Should be good as new.

Nikwash Tech Wash is designed to restore water repellence on garments that have a water repellent coating. Harkila Pro Hunters have a goretex membrane that makes them waterproof. I would suggest that if they are letting in water something is wrong with the goretex membrane. From reading their 5yr warranty on the Harkila site it seems only to apply to outer fabric and manufacturing but according to the 5 yr warranty card that comes with items it covers all material and production failures. If your trousers are under 5 years old it may be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Nikwash Tech Wash is designed to restore water repellence on garments that have a water repellent coating. Harkila Pro Hunters have a goretex membrane that makes them waterproof. I would suggest that if they are letting in water something is wrong with the goretex membrane. From reading their 5yr warranty on the Harkila site it seems only to apply to outer fabric and manufacturing but according to the 5 yr warranty card that comes with items it covers all material and production failures. If your trousers are under 5 years old it may be worth a try.
    Partly correct. Gore products are as you say inherently waterproof from the membrane, but the outer "face fabric" is treated with a Durable Water Resistant coating which over time and use wears off. This is what usually gives the impression of leaking, as water soaks the outer fabric and although it can't penetrate the membrane it gives the garment a cold, clammy feel next to the skin. It also prevents the moisture transfer outwards (breathability) which can cause sweat to condense inside, again making it seem as if they're leaking. A product like TX direct (not techwash) is designed to restore the DWR coating and often "fixes" the perceived leaking.
    On the other hand if they are genuinely leaking, they're covered by Gore's "Guaranteed to keep you dry" promise, and at the very least the retailer they were bought from should agree to have them sent to Gore for testing.
    I don't mean to be anal, but I have worked in that industry for a fair while.

Whilst I have never worked in the industry for a fair while I take it when Radar UK states that his trousers are " losing their waterproofing a little around the knees and thighs at the front" he means that water is leaking through the Goretex lining. Even with brand new Pro Hunters if you kneel in water you can feel the cold feeling coming through but not the water. If the Goretex membrane is faulty no amount of spray on stuff or washing in a water repellent will have them as good as new although it may stop the leak for a short while.

Thanks for the replies guys, to clarify what I am experiencing is more akin to cold/damp/wet feeling as opposed to full on leaking and this is usually when it has been totally pissing down and I am drenched so it's hard to say for sure - but I don't tend to notice it in lighter rain or kneeling down etc. if I recall.

I will give the TX spray a try and see how it fairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Radar_UK View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, to clarify what I am experiencing is more akin to cold/damp/wet feeling as opposed to full on leaking and this is usually when it has been totally pissing down and I am drenched so it's hard to say for sure - but I don't tend to notice it in lighter rain or kneeling down etc. if I recall.

I will give the TX spray a try and see how it fairs.
    Just wash on a 40 degree wash...plain water, no soap powder etc. Tumble dry for 20 minutes, hang in warm place to totally dry. DWP should then be restored.

As well as stalking I do a lot of sailing and have the same problem with all my breathable kit. Forget techwash....the very best is Grainger, it's wash in but HAS to be heat activated......tumble drier is best.....I get it at my local chandlers but it must be available online.