Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Leica Bins - 8x42 or 8x56

Which Leica Bins - 8x42 or 8x56

Santa's tempted to reward me for being good this year. I was looking at the Leica RF Binoculars, trying to decide on whether to go for 8x42 or 10x42. Settled on the 8x42 then realised they also do a 8x56.

The 8x56's are 15mm longer, 10mm wider and weigh 150g more (1100g rather than 950g)

If money was no object (the 56's are 200 more) which would you go for and why????

leica bins

I have just replaced my Swaro 8x56 with Lieca RF 8x56 and boy am I pleased!!!

I have a little test - from my front window I can see a wire fence about 1500 yards away - Swaros show top wire - Leicas show all 3 wires. I know that at this end of the market personal eye performance also counts but obviously the Leicas suit me better.Also lighter and shorter than the Swaros.

I went to Swillington Guns near Leeds for mine and got an amazing deal - 1,275 for brand new unopened box "ex demo" !!!

Regards
    Tony

I have no experience with Leicas, however I always have my old Zeiss 8x56 binos with me back in Poland as I often stalk wild boar at first/last light and at night.
    Here in Scotland I use 8x42 Minox binos as they are much lighter and you can see deer with them one hour before sunrise/after sunset anyway.

Greg

Gully,

In the autumn I splashed out on the Leica 10x42 HD's rather than the Zeiss equivalent. They are excellent. You might find the 50's are just that little to big to lug arround all day.

Make sure you get the latest HD's as there are a lot of the old type about and if you haggle the price is the same. I got mine from the Sportsman at Exeter.

If you get an option suggest get both pairs and try them for a week and see which suit you best. I know its a great deal of cash but will be worth every penny.

D

I was supposed to drive to Wales on Friday so had them all lined up at Sportsman in Newport to compare them. Then it snowed so didn't get to Wales. Supposed to be in Newcastle today so lined them up again at Swillington Shooting Supplies, but the road carnage last night put me off a 550 mile round trip.

Just found a place round the corner who is getting both of them in tomorrow for me to have a look. My gut says get the 8x42's but I'll always wonder what the 56's would be like.

I think buying both is out of my league a bit so I'll have to decide when I see them. Is 150g extra really going to kill me to carry around?

Quote Originally Posted by Gully
    I was supposed to drive to Wales on Friday so had them all lined up at Sportsman in Newport to compare them. Then it snowed so didn't get to Wales. Supposed to be in Newcastle today so lined them up again at Swillington Shooting Supplies, but the road carnage last night put me off a 550 mile round trip.

Just found a place round the corner who is getting both of them in tomorrow for me to have a look. My gut says get the 8x42's but I'll always wonder what the 56's would be like.

I think buying both is out of my league a bit so I'll have to decide when I see them. Is 150g extra really going to kill me to carry around?
    would you think twice about a couple extra rounds in your pocket?

I was thinking more of a couple of mars bars

Quote Originally Posted by Gully
    Is 150g extra really going to kill me to carry around?
    The weight is on your neck and its quite a lot. It does not seem to be much, but I remember how big difference there was when I compared old Zeiss Dialyth 8x56 (1010g) and new Victory 8x56 (1220g). I prefer the old one even if Victory optics are possibly better.

Greg

I made Griff laugh when I used to lug round the Zeiss 10x50's, did'nt need a bipod!

In my early shooting / stalking life I bought a pair of Swarovski's
    8x56 SL ( the old slightly rounded model ) . Far to heavy , after a while they stayed home because being unpleasant to have around your neck .
    My choice would be 8x40 /42 .