Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck expander

Neck expander

My new Lapua brass is very tight when seating bullets. I understand that this is common with Lapua. I don't like the amount of neck tension I am getting therefore am wondering about expander dies. Do I need to buy a specific die or is there any way I can get the same effect using my existing dies? I currently have Lee collet dies (full, neck, and bullet seating). Ta.

Just run the expander ball of the full length die in and out again, no need to fully resize the neck.
    (have you tried just running the collet die mandrel in and out again)

Neil.

Hi Neil. Not tried anything yet. Brass is brand new and unfired.

Quote Originally Posted by cambsman View Post
    Hi Neil. Not tried anything yet. Brass is brand new and unfired.
    Having just bought new brass I would just load it and use it, just a medium paced load to fire form them.
    Then I will do all the case prep and work a load up, that way all my cases will be the same, and fit my chamber.
    Your other option is either just load them, or resize the neck with whichever of your dies you normally use.

Neil.

stiffer seating pressure does not necessarily give more neck tension

your bullet is sizing the brass as it is.
    likely to be producing a 0.001" difference in internal and outside diameter neck to bullet

brass hardness and neck thickness is the aspect that impacts tension
    softer brass can actually give more tension as it has more spring

so long as the bullet is not being damaged (boat tails, chamfered etc) and you are not getting obvious pressure signs then it should be fine

personally I find Lapua on the hard side

My new Lapua brass is very tight when seating bullets. I understand that this is common with Lapua. I don't like the amount of neck tension I am getting therefore am wondering about expander dies. Do I need to buy a specific die or is there any way I can get the same effect using my existing dies? I currently have Lee collet dies (full, neck, and bullet seating). Ta.
    I would full length resize all the cases before loading. This makes your first loads all the more meaningful because the brass would be all the same size and more importantly, the same size as determined by your dies. This gives you a greater probability of being able to repeat your initial results on the next loading. To do otherwise is to waste your time and components.~Muir

Interesting and useful info. Thanks guys. My main worry was if I would get increased chamber pressures due to a tighter neck. None of my loads are 'hot' as I don't need top velocities for the type of stalking I do ie nearly all shots at about 100 yds or so, so should be ok. Will ponder the issue further......

Follow Muir's advice, the only reason I don't full length size is a dislike of lubing cases

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Follow Muir's advice, the only reason I don't full length size is a dislike of lubing cases

Neil.
    I use One Shot. Easy as pie.
    I have really gotten into a FL sizing stint with my hunting rifles. I am really liking it. My 7-08 is delivering increasingly smaller groups with adjusted charges of Varget and a 120 grain bullet but I have kept the "Full Length resizing, Trim Every Loading, Crimp" routine. I'm going to be working up some initial loadings with a Savage 30-06 I bought for my son. I have two bags of new Rem brass that will FL resized before I start. I truly believe it levels the playing field and makes the first loading all the more relevant instead of being the easily dismissed "fire forming" loads that are always so interesting but so difficult to repeat.

And back to that topic, I have often reminded that Win and Rem bulk brass used to come with a disclaimer stating that the brass should be FL resized before shooting and some major distributors in the US still advise it.~Muir

Interesting and useful info. Thanks guys. My main worry was if I would get increased chamber pressures due to a tighter neck. None of my loads are 'hot' as I don't need top velocities for the type of stalking I do ie nearly all shots at about 100 yds or so, so should be ok. Will ponder the issue further......
    It won't happen. Look at the degree of crimp placed on most factory rounds! Some governments lacquer their bullets into place. I don't think your tight necks will be an issue.~Muir