Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longish range choice

Longish range choice

Hi all
    I'm after idea's for the best calibre for 300 yardish rabbits that wont destroy them (I want to still eat or sell them) but could still take a fox out to 200 yards. Would a 17 or 22 Hornet fit the bill, or am I looking at 17HMR for the rabbits and sticking to my 243 for the foxes?

SD Regular
    I wouldn't fancy the holdover on an HMR at 300 yrds - same for the 22 Hornet - for consistent shooting. A 20 Tac or 204 Ruger sounds like a round that will cover both your requirements - and leave something edible afterward. I have no experience of a 17 Hornet, or the other 17C/F options, which may also meet your requirements.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I did think I may be pushing a 17 HMR at that range. Don't know anything about the 204r (along with a lot of other things ) so will do a bit of internet hunting, thanks for idea.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallascorban View Post
    I did think I may be pushing a 17 HMR at that range. Don't know anything about the 204r (along with a lot of other things ) so will do a bit of internet hunting, thanks for idea.
    100yd zero on a 17HMR will give you a 36inch drop at 300yds - a 200yd zero will still need a 23inch holdover.

zero 1inch high at 100yds on a 204 will pretty much put you 3in low at 300 - much more manageable
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

222 a great round rarely talked about any more.

Would the 222 not just blow the rabbit apart, great for the foxes but over kill for the rabbits?

Another vote for the triple 2 .
    I am a big fan of the 17hmr and used one regularly for corvids and cubs but a 300 yard shot would have been something I just would not have attempted

Not advocating the .17HMR for Fox at long ranges, but wanted to take the opportunity to suggest you can do more than holdover. You can 'dial-in' if you have the confidence, further out than you may otherwise attempt; btw am not intending to start a windage/light bullets thread for the armchair snipers.

Attach a link to a series of vids on YouTube with LR rabbits/corvids using .17HMR. The shooter is highly professional and has obviously put the time in to get the most out of his rifle; sort of bloke you might like to shoot with if you could choose one!
    I'm lucky enough to have a couple already

PS tried the .204R, close friend's rifle - took a head, heart, lung shot on a Fox (devastating); can't say a rabbit would be much use to you after being hit - so wondering how many have actually used it in anger for the pot!
    Last edited by RickoShay; 01-02-2014 at 18:52. Reason: Link derrr....
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Would a better question have been whats the smallest calibre for foxing at 200 yards?