Thread: New to reloading

Thumbs up New to reloading

Hi all I am new to all this what it is I am reloading my own loads and I have got 85 grain heads I am using vihtavuori n150 and it hasn't got the powder messure for the 85 head it has 87 grain horandy and 80 fmj heads what would I do do I go for the 87 grain head messure and start at the min or what should I do . O sorry it's a 243 cal and a other thing is its 85 Speer btsp heads thanks very much all

Quote Originally Posted by Ally34 View Post
    Hi all I am new to all this what it is I am reloading my own loads and I have got 85 grain heads I am using vihtavuori n150 and it hasn't got the powder messure for the 85 head it has 87 grain horandy and 80 fmj heads what would I do do I go for the 87 grain head messure and start at the min or what should I do . O sorry it's a 243 cal and a other thing is its 85 Speer btsp heads thanks very much all
    Ask yourself this: What do you suppose would happen if I used the 87 grain load data? Based on all you know about reloading at this time, what would be the consequences??~Muir

Ally I think what Muir is trying to tell you but in a very polite way is that using the data for a bullet that is only 2 grains heavier than the bullet that you are reloading isn't going to make that much difference, but have you really got a grasp of the principles involved? What I would suggest but once again in a very polite way as you are new to reloading and feeling a bit unsure of yourself is just go back and have another read of your reloading manual. Please don't be put off by asking such questions though.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Account Suspended
    I have noticed that, in the reloading manuals, as you look at different "bullet" weights, within any given cartridge choice, two facts seem to emerge.

1) The maximum velocity attainable at maximum recommended loads seems to decrease as bullet weight increases.

and...

2) The maximum recommended load also seems to decrease as bullet weight increases.

Now, I'm quite new to reloading too. I've only reloaded a handful of different calibres and only that for less than thirty years, but I'll go out on a limb and say that... if you use the data for the next heavier bullet weight you probably won't go very far wrong.

ps... please don't call them "heads" that is what ignorant people call bullets... the cartridge "head" is where the make and size are stamped... i.e. the other end... Good luck~Tom
    Last edited by Tamus; 02-02-2014 at 11:28. Reason: ps

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Ally I think what Muir is trying to tell you but in a very polite way is that using the data for a bullet that is only 2 grains heavier than the bullet that you are reloading isn't going to make that much difference, but have you really got a grasp of the principles involved? What I would suggest but once again in a very polite way as you are new to reloading and feeling a bit unsure of yourself is just go back and have another read of your reloading manual. Please don't be put off by asking such questions though.
    I was, and I agree. Read up a bit because you might have skipped that detail. And yes, keep asking questions. Having learned to reload from books, largely without a mentor's advice, I know that information you must work to find is usually the information you comprehend the best and remember the longest. Accordingly, I have a habit of suggesting that people think things through before you dive for the key board. (It's also the way i coach reloading for the people I give lessons to so don't be offended.) If you don't have a book however.....

It was interesting to note that with some load data from Hornady's new book, the same data might cover a 3 grain difference in bullet weight, say a 165 and a 168 grain 30 caliber would have the same loading data.~Muir

HI ally34 lee modern reloading second addition states a starting load for an 87gn bullet using N150 is 33.7gn and a maximum load of 37.9 gn
    hope this helps cheers Geoff