Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a difference half a grain can make

What a difference half a grain can make

I decided to load some target rounds for the 6.5x47L as I am going to do some Club meets at the NRA this year. Still being fairly green as far as reloading goes and with the rather limp start initially with my Hunting loads still fresh in my mind, I decided to start right in the middle of the suggested Min and Max load for the Scenars.
    This being 32gr, 32.2gr and 32.5gr of N140, CCI 450 Magnum Primers with a COL of 2.736"
    Even though the wind was a bit fresh today, I am lucky to have a nice pit that I can test things in, it does not stop the wind but calms it a bit. I am amazed that as the load went up, the group tightened some much with just half a grains difference.
    And yes, I know, 3 shots groups???

Anyway the pic shows the results of my first three Scenar loads, job done I reckon. Just luck though, not claiming to be 'Super Reloader' all the same I am very chuffed indeed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6547139gr.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	37482

Not quite so dramatic a change on the 123gr Scenars, still a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6547123gr.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	37483
    Last edited by Mutley; 01-02-2014 at 20:58. Reason: Wrong primer number shown

That's very well done. When I'm fine tuning the powder in my loads, I frequently try 0.2 gr steps, sometimes testing a good result with the same powder weight again and +-0.2 gr.

Regards

JCS

One hole groups like that are not luck, to many things has to be right for this to happen, nice one

Nice handy work fella. I'm still green on the reloading myself. I work up in .5gr if best group I is 35 I'll fine tune with 34.6, 34.8, 35 and 35.2 (checking pressure signs).
    At the first stage of working up in .5's I've found a couple of times when the group has started to open up again one of the next two have closed right up (still below max etc) and that's the one I've fine tuned then. Had some reliable help mailed by Muir and Brock Norris (Trade) on here. All good fun eh
    Last edited by Rusty Gate; 15-02-2014 at 20:58.
    If it ain't broke don't fiddle with it!
    Not even a little..........................(unless you can fix it, properly fix it, working and everything.......like PROPPER working!!)

Mmmm, I've been quite on the fence as to whether reloading is really worth the hassle. However, this just goes to show what a difference it can make. I realise 3/4 to 1-inch groups with Sako 90g Gamehead in my Sako A7 and have been quite satisfied with that. However, seeing you get the load just right for your rifle and key-holing three rounds, gives pause for a re-think. Thanks for sharing Mutley and the helpful target/load images, most illuminating

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    One hole groups like that are not luck, to many things has to be right for this to happen, nice one
    +1!
    If it ain't broke don't fiddle with it!
    Not even a little..........................(unless you can fix it, properly fix it, working and everything.......like PROPPER working!!)

Thumbs up

+1 some shooting ma man
    Last edited by wattygun; 01-02-2014 at 20:13.

Excellent result Mutt.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Excellent result Mutt.
    A big part of that is your bit of kit and mods on my 505's I am sure. BATTERIES !!!!!

Putting in the practice and tweaking the variables is what its all about. Having reloaded for far too long now, I would be manipulating the seating depth next, this should in most cases shrink your best group if at all possible.

Keep up the good work it will pay off in the end.
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.