Thread: Inexpensive waterproof jackets

Inexpensive waterproof jackets

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a waterproof jacket for reasonable money:

It looks like the MoD have released a batch of both DPM and MTP goretex waterproof jackets as there seem to be a lot of them about at present. Many seem to be brand new with a wide range of sizes available. The MTP ones, appearing to be in more demand, are going for higher prices but even so you can get one for around 50 with the DPM version around 20.

If buying the MTP version then be sure not to get one of the lightweight or packlight ones as these had no hood and were made of a very light material. Rumour was that they were not very waterproof but I've never tested that myself. The more heavy weight MTP jackets have a hood and two breast pockets.

As ever these jackets are designed with the intention that the windproof smock or other "load carrying" type thing will be worn on top of them, hence the reduced pockets. Combined with a windproof smock this makes a great stalking "clothing system" with the smock waterproof enough for most stalking and the goretex jacket adding complete waterproofness (if there is such a word) while you retain all the pockets of your smock by wearing it on top.

I do have several of the "big name" coats but I've gone to this system through choice for almost all my stalking and fishing. While some may not like the cammo colours where I stalk and fish there is rarely someone to see me so it's not a problem.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone looking for a waterproof jacket for reasonable money:

It looks like the MoD have released a batch of both DPM and MTP goretex waterproof jackets as there seem to be a lot of them about at present. Many seem to be brand new with a wide range of sizes available. The MTP ones, appearing to be in more demand, are going for higher prices but even so you can get one for around 50 with the DPM version around 20.

If buying the MTP version then be sure not to get one of the lightweight or packlight ones as these had no hood and were made of a very light material. Rumour was that they were not very waterproof but I've never tested that myself. The more heavy weight MTP jackets have a hood and two breast pockets.

As ever these jackets are designed with the intention that the windproof smock or other "load carrying" type thing will be worn on top of them, hence the reduced pockets. Combined with a windproof smock this makes a great stalking "clothing system" with the smock waterproof enough for most stalking and the goretex jacket adding complete waterproofness (if there is such a word) while you retain all the pockets of your smock by wearing it on top.

I do have several of the "big name" coats but I've gone to this system through choice for almost all my stalking and fishing. While some may not like the cammo colours where I stalk and fish there is rarely someone to see me so it's not a problem.

Agreed you can't beat the mil surplus gear the best value for money you can get I too have tried a few top end products but always end back where I started, though always wore it with the goretex outside until I read a post of yours a while back never once having though of using it the other way round doh!!! it makes sense, interestingly that mtp suit you mention the one with no hood I bought one recently and found it to be noisy when moving and not as supple as the dpm goretex I'm used to, as far a rain protection I have yet to wear it in anger the jurys still out on this one, the aesthetic quality's of the mil stuff when you are in your element, just you your environment and maybe with a little luck (sometimes/all times you might need a lot of luck.... lol) and stealthy hunting the quarry nothing else matters....

army surplus keeps it a hobby and not an added expense.... I buy german army surplus.... the goretex jacket is cheap and real good and the regular field jacket is actually warmer than a couple other coats I have... Not heartbroken snagging a 15 buck jacket or 10 buck pants compared to the super deluxe stuff.... Gotta admit tho... a couple of the sets that folks have posted links to lately has been interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    army surplus keeps it a hobby and not an added expense.... I buy german army surplus.... the goretex jacket is cheap and real good and the regular field jacket is actually warmer than a couple other coats I have... Not heartbroken snagging a 15 buck jacket or 10 buck pants compared to the super deluxe stuff.... Gotta admit tho... a couple of the sets that folks have posted links to lately has been interesting....
    I would normally recommend the German Flecktarn Goretex as they were the best value for money but recently they've gone up in price and so the British stuff is now usually better value. I think the reason the field jacket, which I guess is the German "windproof smock," works so well is because it breathes well and so lets the moisture out. Goretex is great, but it never really keeps you dry if you are walking or doing any work.

Like you I often see a lot of very interesting, and usually expensive, stuff which takes my fancy and I do own some of it however of recent years I've always come back to the windproof smock with, if the weather is very, very bad, a surplus goretex on under it for stalking and I often wear the same gear for my fishing as well now. It is maybe not suitable for all circumstances but I've yet to find anything better for what I do.

The army goretex is quite noisy if you are trying to sneak up on anything, i had a pair of the goretex trousers once, after 2 outings they split at the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I would normally recommend the German Flecktarn Goretex as they were the best value for money but recently they've gone up in price and so the British stuff is now usually better value. I think the reason the field jacket, which I guess is the German "windproof smock," works so well is because it breathes well and so lets the moisture out. Goretex is great, but it never really keeps you dry if you are walking or doing any work.

Like you I often see a lot of very interesting, and usually expensive, stuff which takes my fancy and I do own some of it however of recent years I've always come back to the windproof smock with, if the weather is very, very bad, a surplus goretex on under it for stalking and I often wear the same gear for my fishing as well now. It is maybe not suitable for all circumstances but I've yet to find anything better for what I do.

holy ****!!!! I haven't looked lately... Wife got two goretex jackets new off ebay about a year and a half ago for 35 euro and two of the field jackets like new for 24 euro.... Just looked and only found singles for considerably more than she paid for the pairs......

Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by whinfell View Post
    The army goretex is quite noisy if you are trying to sneak up on anything,
    The army do, I'm told, a lot of sneaking up.

The key thing to remember is that the goretex jacket is part of a "clothing system" and so is not intended to be considered on its own. The plan is that you were a windproof smock on almost all occasions and in almost all conditions. This has lots of pockets etc. and is designed to be your main jacket. However, if it gets so wet that it is likely the water will come through the smock then you put the goretex jacket on UNDER the smock. I know this sounds crazy but it means you retain all your pockets and it also means that there is very little noise from the goretex jacket. When things dry up you go back to the smock and because it is very breathable any moisture that has been trapped under the goretex isn't long of clearing and so you are warmer and drier than if just wearing the various commercial goretex jackets.

You will not be long until you can predict when conditions are bad enough to make the goretex jacket worthwhile so, in general, you don't need to carry around several jackets that you will never wear.

So, although the jackets are made for the minimum cost the whole system has been well thought out over many years and with many "crash test dummies" in the field using it every day in all conditions. As a system it works well and for stalking I've found nothing to beat it when it comes to jackets. It is also great that everyone can take advantage of it for 30 - 50 with a range of patterns available (solid green, solid black, flecktarn, DPM, MTP and probably more) to suit all ground and tastes.