Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun dog coats

Gun dog coats

Just a quick question

On the shoot where I beat I'm the only one who puts a coat on my springer at the end of the day !

Do you ? and if not why not.

I arrive home approx. 30min and take her out of the lintran box and she it warm and nearly dry, mine cost less than 20 your dog will keep condition better if looked after.

With my vet hat on I think these a superb idea. Was shooting yesterday and pleased to see 2 coats go on at the end.

If my cocker is any use and we take her shooting we will get her a coat

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I carry a couple of towels per dog and they have a vet blanket to lie on. I was given a zip up towel bag affair which was awful…difficult to put on and the dog couldn't move.

A coat sounds a good idea, are you referring to fleece or towelling ones? Can you recommend a particular make?

A beating friend uses a Hi-Viz jacket on her Cocker, but that is to prevent it being shot as a fox again!

I put Equafleece jumpers on my HWV's if they are wet, just towell them down, then put their jumpers on. Look after them they are the best shooting mates you can have.
    Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Just a quick question

On the shoot where I beat I'm the only one who puts a coat on my springer at the end of the day !

Do you ? and if not why not.

I arrive home approx. 30min and take her out of the lintran box and she it warm and nearly dry, mine cost less than 20 your dog will keep condition better if looked after.
    I use a thick towelling coat at the end of the day or half way if weather is wet. Dog dries off quick and comes out dry and warm. If it's a wet day i use it at half time as it keeps muscles warm and ready for next drives. If dogs are all in together with good bedding under them i don't feel it is so important, but when in dog box on their own, do feel it is good to help them dry of quicker.

+1 for equafleece, i use them on a cocker and a lab and totaly agree with Wildfowler 1 look after them, they have worked hard for you all day. W.S.
    Walk little- look often .

Mine is a green wax cotton job with a soft cotton interior, three Velcro straps hold it on.

W R Outhwaite wax padded dog coat.

Mine has a wax cotton unlined jacket that goes all the way around the chest and connects together with press-studs. Doesn't impede his movements, so he keeps it on, not just for afterwards.

German make, I forget the name.

Keeps him clean and dry, except for legs, which he licks clean in a few minutes. Without it he would usually need a warm shower (which he loves). Or hosepipe job (less loved).

Keeps him clean and dry, except for the legs. Stays on very well, whereas standard coats slide about and end up lop-sided.

We use equafleeces on our cockers after a hard wet day beating and when really cold day stalking we work them in Rivers west fleece coats their are the same material as my Rivers west stalking smock serious quality, when we put the dogs in their coats some of the other beaters always say "look at the little woosie dogs ' but I point out that when my dogs are older they will still be able to work and have a better quality of life than their own dogs and mine aren't sitting there shaking with cold hope that helps bazil

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    We use Thermalux coats on our cockers and labs. Why wouldn't you look after your dogs at the end of a day's work?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!