Thread: Cleaning an old rifle stored for many years

Cleaning an old rifle stored for many years

Hi folks,

I've recently inherited my fathers 1970s Tikka LSA .243 rifle and am looking to get it back in shape. It hasn't been fired in 15-20 years and it's doubtful that he ever cleaned it, bad I know. I'm looking for some help on the best way to clean the barrel so it hopefully shoots to an acceptable accuracy!

I'm looking to buy a full cleaning kit for it as well so any suggestions are welcome. My thoughts at the moment are to buy the wipeout tactical advantage and accelerator combo and leave them working overnight, at least once. After that a bronze brush will likely then come into play with Hoppes elite or something.

What else would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Gibby

I use wipeout and havn't found anything it won't shift over time, even on old rifles. Don't rush, leave the solvent to soak and you may need to repeat multiple times. Everyone has a different approach but I patch out with meths to ensure that I remove all of the used solvent and muck from the barrel. You will know that the barrel is clean when a cycle fails to remove any more muck. Solvents are so strong these days that you shouldn't need a bronze brush, nylon is OK. Read up on the site about correct technique and the use of bore guides etc.

Good luck!

I'd patch any storage debris from the bore and shoot it before I decided that it needed a barrel metal cleaning to fix it. Really? Are yo so sure it won't shoot bug-hole groups as it sits?
    "Don't fix what ain't broke" as they say. ~Muir

PS: 1970's isn't "old" in rifle years.....

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I'd patch any storage debris from the bore and shoot it before I decided that it needed a barrel metal cleaning to fix it. Really? Are yo so sure it won't shoot bug-hole groups as it sits?
    "Don't fix what ain't broke" as they say. ~Muir

PS: 1970's isn't "old" in rifle years.....

Bloody good advise from Muir try and shoot before cleaning ?

Good advice on giving itv a quick clean, shooting it to see what it will do & then give it a regular clean before taking a look at it properly. A friend bought an old K98 Mauser that had been stored since the mid 1950s. It took a while to get her back to working order but after a few cycles of firing & cleaning, after the initial clean, it was shooting pretty well.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions folks, I'll give it a few cleaning/firing cycles and see where we are. I should add that I'm fairly new to rifle shooting so I'll not be 100% sure whether the grouping (good or bad) is down to me or the rifle but practice will help this!

Cheers

Wipe out tactical advantage is a cracking product and as has already been said it seems to shift anything.

Rick