Help trying to source a rem 700 lh long action in the us

JasonH

Hi all

Bit of a shout out to our us buddies here. I have moved to the us for a while and have been to the out door show in harrisburg at the weekend and found someone to make me a custom left hand 30.06 based on a rem action. Now the easiest way to get things started is for me to source a second hand donor action but so far the cheapest i can find is around $550. does any one else know the whereabouts of a cheaper one (got my fingers crossed that muir knows).

Thanks

Jason.

Hi all

Bit of a shout out to our us buddies here. I have moved to the us for a while and have been to the out door show in harrisburg at the weekend and found someone to make me a custom left hand 30.06 based on a rem action. Now the easiest way to get things started is for me to source a second hand donor action but so far the cheapest i can find is around $550. does any one else know the whereabouts of a cheaper one (got my fingers crossed that muir knows).

Thanks

Jason.

I saw one at First national Pawn. Broadwater Avenue. Billings, MT a month back. Didn't check the price. (no interest) Left handed rifles bring a bit of a premium item. I'll check the Trading Post after work tomorrow.~Muir

PS: Were it me, I'd go for a left handed Savage.

Thanks muir out of interest why do you rate the savage over rem ?

The Remmy's have great barrels but a spring clip extractor and a brazed on bolt handle. I have repaired both many times. The Savage is quite easily rebarreled and headspace set accurately. Because of this, you can have a switch barrel rifle made, changing the barrels with minimal equipment all by yourself. The down side is that all the cool goodies are made for Remingtons but Savage is catching up rapidly in that department.

Frankly, Savages shoot so well out of the box that you might think twice about rebarreling one. My Long Range Hunter .308 is so accurate it frightens me.~Muir

Hi all

Thanks

Jason.

all i can say to you is that if you're in virginia, toss the idea of buying a remmy action and go take a visit to Jim Borden in PA and buy yourself one of his rimrock actions. without doubt the best actions in the world. then take your pick of top gunsmiths to build what you want on it. Sid goodling, bob green or Jim himself would be good choices..... you'd be crazy to come back from the states with a remmy when you could have the rifle of your dreams. just my thoughts.

Hi Jason.
For what it's worth I have to agree with Nowler. Take advantage of being in the States and buy some quality gear at sensible prices. I handled two Rifles the other Week built by PRS and the Rimrock Actions are in a different League. If Finances will not run to a Rimrock I have a Timberline which is excellent, also by Borden.
Enjoy whatever you decide and keep us posted.:D

Yorkie.

Back