Thread: Is it possible to identify a model with only the brand and serial#?

Is it possible to identify a model with only the brand and serial#?

Hey folks,
    anyone know if it's possible to find out the model of a gun with just the brand and serial number? I am trying to get 3 abandoned guns from our command but only have brand, caliber, and serial#... Like to know what model they are to see how much effort I want to put in.... Simple thing is just go look at them but it's too much involved to get the right folks together (and me permission) to gain access to the arms room. They are:

1) Ruger .308 rifle SN# 77281608
    2) S&W .40 cal pistol SN# VBF5548
    3) S&W 12ga Pump SN# 232B66

Thanks, Dave

SD Regular
    Certainly Smith and Wesson will know exactly what make and model it is and you may be able to get this information off the internet anyway. S & W serials are very well documented. It is just finding the correct page of information! Ruger again possibly? I'd simply try an e-mail to them.

i'm almost 100% sure the ruger is a early 1980s model 77 with the tang safety
    a barony original

Quote Originally Posted by landkeeper View Post
    i'm almost 100% sure the ruger is a early 1980s model 77 with the tang safety

That makes perfect sense... Matches about the time the guy that abandoned it would have brought it here.... Hope so cause they seem to be good guns and I like the looks of it.

Thanks.

You will find your year here Ruger serial numbers database
    Ruger Instruction Manuals Product History

thanks! Just talked to the owner of the rifle and pistol today... The rifle is a model 77 and the pistol he said looks like a .45... He hasn't seen either of them in 15+ years but said the pistol was never fired and the rifle about half a box of shells (he gave them both to me)..... I won't see them til I get them transferred into my name and on my permit (week or so?)... Will see the owner of the shotgun on Wednesday and am pretty sure I'll get it also... Then I can see exactly what I have.... Thanks.

Daven
    The Ruger 77 Mk1 with tang safety had a "safety recall" on the trigger mechanism. I had one & Ruger sent me a replacement part (a spring if the little grey cells are working right ) plus instructions how to change it. It was an easy swap on my 77V.
    When you get the rifle it may be worth contacting Ruger to check if yours needs sorting.
    The alternative improvement is to fit a Timney trigger to it - That made mine a much better tool to use, although it was necessary to cut some wood away to fit it.
    The other thing to note is that the rifle probably won't have a free floated barrel. - Don't be tempted to make it float free - it'll probably shoot like S**t if you do! - Mine did & I needed to re-bed the forend with a pad at the front to make it shoot straight again!
    I enjoyed mine for 10 years.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Hey folks,anyone know if it's possible to find out the model of a gun with just the brand and serial number? I am trying to get 3 abandoned guns from our command but only have brand, caliber, and serial#... Like to know what model they are to see how much effort I want to put in.... Simple thing is just go look at them but it's too much involved to get the right folks together (and me permission) to gain access to the arms room. They are:1) Ruger .308 rifle SN# 77281608 2) S&W .40 cal pistol SN# VBF55483) S&W 12ga Pump SN# 232B66Thanks, Dave
    It's nice when that happens. I managed to "inherit" a Remington Mod 12C (.22LR pump action rifle) which had been abandoned by a previous unit when my regiment moved to Wolfenbuttel. Some years later I also managed to rescue 2 brand new Lee Enfield No4 rifles that were going to be reduced to scrap.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Just got an email back from S&W... No info on the shotgun but the pistol is a 4006 made in 1993. Turning out to be a hassle to keep these guns away from the foundry... Any idea the value of the pistol... All I know is that it was bought new and never been fired. The rifle is a 77 and I guess the shotgun is the 916 (showed a picture a to the guy that saw it and he confirmed).

Thanks, Dave