S&B or Swarovski Scope

sp4rkman

Hi All,

Looking at getting myself a new scope for Christmas but can't decide between the S&B 8x56 Illuminated or the Swarovski 8x56 Illuminated. There is not much in it cost wise (Swaro is £30 cheaper) so that is not the determining factor.

I know several of you use either of these scopes so your advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.

regards
sp4rkman

Hi

I have both makes on my rifles, IMO the Swarvo’ has slightly better glass and weighs less, but the S&B is built like a Tiger Tank. Depends on what you value most for which one you put top.

ATB
Tahr

your dead right i like the swro over S/B .but the S/B is a stronger scope.

i love the TDS4 4-16x50 .i have punished it for 5 years now and its still as new.

pig in a poke .

I have the S&B and have compared it with the Swaro side by side as it got dark and I agree with what everyone else is saying. The Swaro has slightly better glass, or at least it gives that impression. I suspect that the wider field of view with the Swaro is actually what makes the difference and that in fact there is little between them in terms of low light performance. The Swaro is a lot lighter and also just feels "smaller."

You could buy either with confidence but I'd put the Swaro ahead on glass and the S&B ahead on robustness/confidence inspiring.

i've just changed all mine to swaro.

they are smaller/shorter (butler creeks dont hit the shight on the r93 with the swaro's)

lighter

brighter

resettable turrets

and for service they have an office in the uk, who are excellent. with S&B you have to deal with the retailers or the factory direct.

go austrian!

bucksden said:
and for service they have an office in the uk, who are excellent. with S&B you have to deal with the retailers or the factory direct.

go austrian!

Agreed. And I've found that the customer service from Swarovski is second to none - parts replaced F.O.C without quibble etc.

I've just puchased a Swarovski 8*56 & part of my descision was based on the service a friend got from Swarovski when he sent his binos back. The only things wrong with them was either operator abuse or fair wear and tear i.e. focus wheel loose, burst eye cups a few marks on the glass. They came back to him like brand new with new eye cups and a new strap (the old one had nowt wrong with it) and he wasnt charged a penny (apart from carriage). As long as I can afford it (with help from my flexible friend :lol: ) I dont think I'll ever go past swarovski.

I agree with what has been said regarding customer service from Swaro.
Howver there have been countless numbers of failures of Swaro scopes when used in conjunction with a moderator.
If that meant testig either scope manufacturers customer service then I would have have to look elswhere.
I can think of several other scope manufacturers that are equally as good as S&B or Swaro and some that are even better..
Do not limit yourself to just these two makes..
Kahles
Hertl Reuss
IOR
Doctor
Vortex
Pecar
Zeiss

regards
griff

I have scopes by swarovski zeiss vortex and s&b and to be honest they are all very similar in quality and performance.
Swarovski probably just have the edge when it come to re-sale if you are likely to be thinking of an upgrade to a variable mag at a latter date but all the above offer good after sales service.
However if you send anything back to swarovski and you are a proffesional stalker dont mention the fact as a friend of mine did or you will be charged as there warranty only covers recreational use apparently.
I recently had a six year old s&b returned to me after it wouldnt hold its zero and it came back like brand new they even covered the p&p.
I think with either one of your choices you can buy with confidence knowing that you have some quality glass siting on top of your rifle

ATB
RICK O SHEA

griff said:
I agree with what has been said regarding customer service from Swaro.
Howver there have been countless numbers of failures of Swaro scopes when used in conjunction with a moderator.
If that meant testig either scope manufacturers customer service then I would have have to look elswhere.
I can think of several other scope manufacturers that are equally as good as S&B or Swaro and some that are even better..
Do not limit yourself to just these two makes..
Kahles
Hertl Reuss
IOR
Doctor
Vortex
Pecar
Zeiss

regards
griff

I agree, I use a Pecar 4-10 X 45 and is comparible to the others. The only problem now is that the Pecar factory in Germany has closed but, I bet there will be someone else who will undertake servicing if required.

Dave

just my opinion but have to agree with all thats been said
about swaro as like bucksden all my scopes are swaro
I also think the 8x56 swaro illuminated is one of the best
out there and the back up service is also fantastic
regards pete .

i use s+b and i must admit that it has never let me down and its an old scope which has had a hard life. i have never owned a swaro but to be honest for an extra £30 i would buy one over the schmidt.

I have an S&B on my .308 which I like very much but (and I am ready to be slated for this) I have a Hawke Niteeyes SR on my .223 (used mainly for foxing) and, while it does not have the reputation of the S&B, for build quality, robustness and low light visibility I think it is a match.

im suprised to see the vortex named in the list as being comparable (ive never seen one) i know they do one £1000 plus scope (razor i think) but the next model down is a couple of hundred quid so if the quality is as you say then they would be quite a bargain

Hi All,

Thanks very much for your honest opinions and i've found them invaluable as you cannot beat in the field experience with these products.

I bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and ordered the Swaro's from Swillingtons this morning. Please just don't tell Mrs. Sp4rkman as she'll kill me if she found out how much they cost....

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for 2010.

regards
Jonathan

I have an s&b on my rifle and my shooting mate has a swaro scope of similar size on his. I have shot using both and find them just as good as each other. It doesnt give a definitive answer to your question but id have a look through both in the gunshop maybe at different times of the day to see how they fair in different light conditions and make a choice from there. Both are excellent scopes, i swapped to an s&b from a cheaper make last year and have never looked back since.

Hi Sp4rkman - hope you're going to be delighted with the Swaro; I've got one on my Tikka, and a couple of my mates use 'em too... top scopes!! :D

Never had an S&B, so can't compare directly, but I daresay if you'd gone for one of them you'd have been made up too....

How much if the missus asks? Apply the universal currency exchange rate that applies to all stalking/shooting gear:
10 man shooting £'s equals 5 wife asking £'s.

£800 scope = £400 when you get asked!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy-peasy.....

ATB,

Merlin

Hi

Is nt this the same exchange rate women use when they go shoe shopping!! :lol:

I like the "oh that! ive had it ages" approach ;)

ATB Steve

Back