Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roe doe lung anomaly

Roe doe lung anomaly

Shot a roe doe today. Saw two roe out feeding on rape so pull into the farm and ask the farmer if I could have a stalk into them. By the time we finished talking they had couched down behind a hedge and were ruminating. I stalked in to about 15 meters and watched for 20 mins or so. The kid buck was siting head up and chewing away. The doe was slightly less alert but I hadn't given it any thought.
    After twenty minutes the buck got twitchy and stood up moving out of the line of fire. I took the doe with a head shot. After the buck ran away I moved forward and gralloched the doe. The animal was skinny (I haven't weighed her) you can feel her hips and spine the mesenteric nodes were slightly enlarged and teeth were very worn. The main thing that was unusual was the texture and condition of the lungs. The lungs looked bruised and dark and they had a slightly tougher feel to them. There is a kind of cyst that you can see in the 1st photo. I have to confess that i haven't seen this before in the deer i have gralloched or xeen gralloched. Anyone have any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lungs 1.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	624.3 KB 
ID:	37612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lungs 2.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	567.1 KB 
ID:	37611

Was it anywhere near any cattle? Excluding the cyst I have seen lungs in similar condition with dead looking spots all over caused by lungworms. Most of my roe near home have them to some degree.

Is it the photo or do those lungs look very yellow?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Is it the photo or do those lungs look very yellow?
    Smoker?

yes they looked yellowish also the red on the second photo is not just blood on the surface but looks like haematoma

SD is on a go slow with me tonight so is painful to navigate!

How did the liver look? My first concern would be liver problems and jaundice causing the yellow discolouration. Any sign of cirrhosis or fluke?

What were the bronchial nodes like?

The lump in the lungs, did you cut into it? It looks like a bullae from the pic (where the cells break down and form a big air filled bubble). If it was firm in texture I'm less happy.

There's something going on with this deer.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

liver looked normal. I didnt cut into the lump but it looked lika an air of fluid filled sack rather than a solid lump. didnt look at the bronchial nodes to be honest

What are you planning on doing with the carcase?

not sure. Either put it in dead pit or give it to local bloke who has birds of prey who has taken carcasses before. Im not eating it.

Whereabouts in the country are you? County accurate enough.