Thread: New Member - London/Surrey border

New Member - London/Surrey border

Hi,

I have been a long time lurker of this site and have no prior experience of stalking (bar a bit of rabbiting) however have considerable general shooting experience. A friend arranged a "beginners stalking course" up in scotland for 4 days this coming February and as such I have been sucking in as much info as possible

I am 34 and have been out of the shooting sports for pretty much the last 8-10 years. I took a sabatical from shooting due to being unable to dedicate sufficient time to it being a travelling consultant role. But now I have got where I want work wise and can focus on some more interesting aspects of life

From 13-18 in the school shooting team I shot both rimfire and full bore approximately 4 times a week (lucky bugger i know ). During uni I spent 4 years in the TA and was a member of the regimental shooting team there, a completely different type of shooting! During this time I was also a member of a target club and had a FAC until I was about 25-26. Had on my ticket 22, 308 target rifles and a 9mm, boy did I cry when that changed.

Well anyways, looking forward to getting back into the sport from a slightly different angle. Any questions feel free to get in touch.

David

Hello and welcome to the site David.

You have come to right place for gathering and sharing information.

Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year mate.

wadas

Welcome to the forum, lots of good guys on here.

Cheers

Stephen

Re: New Member - London/Surrey border

Quote Originally Posted by recce
    Hi,

I have been a long time lurker of this site and have no prior experience of stalking (bar a bit of rabbiting) however have considerable general shooting experience. A friend arranged a "beginners stalking course" up in scotland for 4 days this coming February and as such I have been sucking in as much info as possible

I am 34 and have been out of the shooting sports for pretty much the last 8-10 years. I took a sabatical from shooting due to being unable to dedicate sufficient time to it being a travelling consultant role. But now I have got where I want work wise and can focus on some more interesting aspects of life

From 13-18 in the school shooting team I shot both rimfire and full bore approximately 4 times a week (lucky bugger i know ). During uni I spent 4 years in the TA and was a member of the regimental shooting team there, a completely different type of shooting! During this time I was also a member of a target club and had a FAC until I was about 25-26. Had on my ticket 22, 308 target rifles and a 9mm, boy did I cry when that changed.

Well anyways, looking forward to getting back into the sport from a slightly different angle. Any questions feel free to get in touch.

David
    Hi recce,

from personal experience, as well as sucking in information, you want to be sucking in as much air as you can. Depending on the terrain in Scotland the going can be stamina sapping, especially for us lowlanders and therefore you can be found wanting (not suggesting youre not fit) I was and I had done some serious work but was still carrying some excess weight and it told. The stalker I was with was 68 years old and went up the hill like a chamios and he would sit on a rock smoking a fag waiting for me. Although after the third day I got my second wind and it did become slightly easier.

Good luck

Dave

thanks for the warm welcome chaps, feeling right at home already

having read a few books and quite a few posts here, I have to be honest and admit this stalking seems to be a hell of a lot more complicate/involved than I first thought possible. Thats not a bad thing but can be a little bit daunting

Look forward to all my posts along the lines of where to stalk/applying for a FAC/which rifle (dare I say which cailber?!?!?) 8)

A merry christmas and happy new year to all