Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question.

Quick question.

I am about to purchase a loading press to reload my once fired brass. Obviously I don't want to
    exceed my maximum holding. Is it only once the round is assembled that it would count ? I have a max of 200 rds on my certificate and have saved up 300 cases. Am i right in thinking I can only reload them until the total is the max on my certificate ?
    thanks

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by spforrest View Post
    I am about to purchase a loading press to reload my once fired brass. Obviously I don't want to
    exceed my maximum holding. Is it only once the round is assembled that it would count ? I have a max of 200 rds on my certificate and have saved up 300 cases. Am i right in thinking I can only reload them until the total is the max on my certificate ?
    thanks
    No - any unassembled bullet heads will also count.

So if you bought 5 boxes of, say, Nosler Ballistic Tips (each containing 50 heads) you would already be over your maximum, regardless of the fact that they are just lumps of metal. Your maximum counts both assembled rounds and unassembled heads.

I am assuming here we are talking expanding ammunition of course.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi Spforrest,

Welcome to the joys of re-loading!

The number of fully made up cartridges is immaterial, they will want to know how many bullet heads you wish to purchase and hold. In my case they were happy to increase my purchasing and holding quantities as they needed to increase from the modest 20 round box or two to boxes of a hundred at a time. My advice would be to think about how many boxes you would want to purchase as you may want them in more than one bullet weight, and what sort of stock you want to keep, and then ask for the amounts on your FAC to be amended. It looks a bit odd as your FAC amounts will probably jump up a lot, but they seem OK with it for re-loading.

Section 5 (expanding) bullets count the same as made up rounds regardless of whether they are loose or loaded into a case, fmj bullets only count when loaded into a filled & primed case.

A 200 rounds limit is not really enough if you are reloading, especially if you want to test different bullet types e.g. Partition vs Ballistic Tip vs Accubond and at different weights

atb Tim

I agree with you on this one TB

If loose bullets (not made up) count towards to total allowance you can hold, does this mean they also have to be kept locked in the safe?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    If loose bullets (not made up) count towards to total allowance you can hold, does this mean they also have to be kept locked in the safe?
    If they are s5 expanding , yes

Established Poster
    I have ----Bullets which is made up or bought and ---- expanding Missiles which is the pointy bit, you may need to get Missiles added to your certificate, I think there may be some variation in wording depending on your local authority, so a quick phone call to your FEO would be wise.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm even more confused now though. Just called my licensing dept and there saying, it's only once the round is assembled that it counts towards my max holding. I specifically asked about expanding ammo (that I'm authorised to hold) and was told the same applies.

Quote Originally Posted by spforrest View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'm even more confused now though. Just called my licensing dept and there saying, it's only once the round is assembled that it counts towards my max holding. I specifically asked about expanding ammo (that I'm authorised to hold) and was told the same applies.
    Id ask for that in writing before relying on it (cos whoever told you that is wrong, lol).