Thread: ewe quick to go

Question ewe quick to go

hi all, an enquiry as to the time anyone has seen a ewe be eaten, I went for a stalk Saturday morn first thing saw a dead ewe being chewed through the glasses so got down a hedge to about 90m and took a vixen with the 6.5 I rang the farmer but as Sussex is more like the wash marshes at the moment there was no way for him to move it, it was well out of public sight so I had no concerns, I walked over the farm only saw one buck so no other shot on but could hear the corvids squabbling down at the carcase, I went back that evening and got another vixen just after dark with the .222 but nothing else came in by 10pm so supper called, Sunday morn I went back at dawn to find a dog at its last meal in this world but again nothing else to 10.30am, Sunday evening I drew a total blank after 3.5 hours of sitting but by now the carcase was just about gone Monday morn first thing and all that was left was a clean backbone and a few bits of wool, no legs feet head nothing, less than 2 days to clear a whole sheep, do you think this is the norm? any input would be welcome?

doesnt take long especialy if corvids join in,badgers too,one farm i do last season lost two ewes three or four lambs ,all gone bar cou.ple of bones and some wool within two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by carlthetrapper View Post
    , less than 2 days to clear a whole sheep, do you think this is the norm?
    Nothing unusual about this.
    Most will have been eaten, some bits will have been dragged a fair distance, some will have been flown off with if there's ravens in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Nothing unusual about this.
    Most will have been eaten, some bits will have been dragged a fair distance, some will have been flown off with if there's ravens in the area.
    ^This^

Yup seen it up here on a local farm. Couldn't believe it at 1st, dead 48hours max and virtually nothing left but bone and wool. Didn't get any foxes in it though

Yes quite normal, if you actually see a ewe carcase you would be surpised to see how little is on it, doesn't take long for some hungry foxs and badgers to strip it.You be suprised to how many predators will find it over a 24 hr period.

D

35kg ewe lamb reduced to a skin and one lower foreleg in less than 24hrs here on our farm that shocked even me and was a bit of a wakeup call i have shot @12 foxes over about 20 acres since christmas
    a barony original