Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hornet

Hornet

I fancy a hornet for longer range rabbit crows and the odd fox to fill the gap between the 22lr and a 243 win.

So do I want a 22 hornet or a 17 hornet or should I follow the crowd to HMR?????

22 hornet all the way.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

What about a 204ruger ?

I'm adventurous enough to say try a 17 CF Hornet. Just let me know how you get on as I've not shot one. Don't go near the HMR.

Oh, and if you need a steer on scope rings & mounts just shout!

K

I have a .17 Hornet and it is great for longer range rabbits and corvids. Not tried it on Charlie yet but understand it is not a long range tool and shot placement is crucial, as always. To be fair, what few foxes I shoot, the .243 comes out so the hornet is the fast, flat tool for smaller vermin in my book. Really accurate, hard hitting and flat. If you want to shoot foxes maybe the .22 hornet might be better but I have no first hand experience of this calibre.

I'd probably plumb for the 17 Hornet out of the 2 but what about a .222?

The 22 Hornet is without question a wonderful 100 - 140 yard fox rifle. Period.

K

Or a 17 Rem, or 17 Mach 4, or .223 , or .222 Mag, or 22 PPC, or..............��
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Have a mate who swears by his and he has taken a good few charlies with it.For the ground he shoots over it is ideal to.
    I missed out a good few years ago on an Anschutz one with a loose trigger guard that the lad was letting go for 90.
    Before I could gather the money he gave it to a local gunsmith for a box of 12 bore cartridges!
    Gutted was not the word

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Or a 17 Rem, or 17 Mach 4, or .223 , or .222 Mag, or 22 PPC, or..............��
    Exactly.
    If the OP wants a Hornet he should go for it.
    I've always been a 17 fan even down to shooting a .177 air rifle instead of a .22 for rabbits so any opinion I would have will always be biased