Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is an Unbarrelled Action a Controlled Item

Is an Unbarrelled Action a Controlled Item

I was wondering if someone on SD could help with this. Is an action a controlled item? I am looking to build a 7mm custom and was looking to buy the action and stock to 'marry them up' while saving the cash to get the action barrelled. Can I do this? My FAC is due for renewal so I am applying for the variation. The FEO came round for a house check and I asked him, basically referred me a chap at A&S licensing dept but I wanted to see how the law interprets this before placing that call.

Cheers
    Al

Established Poster
    It is a major pressure bearing component and thus subject to the firearms laws I'm afraid.

Thanks Tiff - I thought it may be a simple answer

Inform your licensing dept what you want to do, then ask them to add "Centrefire Bolt Action" to your FAC as well as the calibre of rifle you want it to be built into.
    Had you wanted to fit your own barrel you would also have to have a temporary licence, to cover you for the interim period when you have the chambered barrel in your possession and its not fitted to the action.
    Thats what i had to do when i built my .22BR.

Ian.

1. 13.74 The term “component part” may be held (according to case law) as including (i) the barrel,chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanismfor containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm uponwhich the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights andfurniture are not considered component parts. The 9th report of the Firearms ConsultativeCommittee provides additional information on this subject.

You will struggle to get anyone to sell you an unproved action. Wiltshire police will give me a slot for an action (unproved) but I haven't been able to get anyone to sell me one so that i can hold it at home while gathering parts. One offer I had was to get an action proved and then remove the barrel, hence selling me a new proved action. My new action is being delivered from the importer to the builder when it arrives.

What about your favourite Blaser actions lol barrel is removable lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    You will struggle to get anyone to sell you an unproved action. Wiltshire police will give me a slot for an action (unproved) but I haven't been able to get anyone to sell me one so that i can hold it at home while gathering parts. One offer I had was to get an action proved and then remove the barrel, hence selling me a new proved action. My new action is being delivered from the importer to the builder when it arrives.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

That's interesting. Geniunely. I don't know why, but I had simply assumed that it was only the barrel (and moderators too, or not, depending on which side of the debate you stand) that was required to be subjected to proof as a separate component prior to sale: something to do with the name "Gun Barrel Proof House", I suppose, and with images like this:

Attachment 37751
    I know this only shows the provisional proof process, but I thought that only a complete gun or rifle could be sent for definitive proof and the idea of proving an action on its own is new to me. Would this apply to a replacement bolt, too; or to a replacement bolt head in the case of a switch-barrel gun? I'm genuinely puzzled, but that's usually the first step to learning something!
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

you will need authority to hold the action and barrel separately, so put in for say a .308 (for ex) action (yes, I know it's not officially a .308 until barrelled), as well as a barrel in .308. if you just hold a .308 slot and acquire the action, then you will no longer be able to purchase a barrel as there's no slot for it (ie. the action takes up the whole slot). oddly enough, if you sell a barrel and keep the action on a caliber specific slot, you will then have the permission to apply for a 1:1 for another barrel as suddenly the action and barrel are 1/2 a 'slot' each,,,but that doesn't work the other way around...bizzarely..

been in constant discussion with police scotland on the subject lately...

Thats probably protectionism , RFD`s wont want FAC`s doing their work , they would be no more liable than if you modified a complete proofed firearm.