Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not quite another "which scope" thread...

Question Not quite another "which scope" thread...

I currently have two boxed, brand new and never mounted scopes: Nikon Monarch III 4-16x42 and a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5 - 14 x 44

I'm very fond of Nikon Prostaff scopes on my air rifles - incredible clarity and excellent low light performance, with a very useful set of aim points (BDC).

I found very early on when it came to shooting gear that want and need are two very different things...

I've also recently found that my better half has managed to amass over 30K in credit card debt

Given that I already have the above Nikon and Bushnell, do I need to look at selling them to fund something else to go onto a .243 or .270, or will they do for now assuming I simply ignore the mil dots ?

I'm putting a 3-9x40 BDC Prostaff on the .22LR, zeroing at probably 50 or 60 yards and then plotting the BDC impact points for longer range

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
    I currently have two boxed, brand new and never mounted scopes: Nikon Monarch III 4-16x42 and a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5 - 14 x 44

I'm very fond of Nikon Prostaff scopes on my air rifles - incredible clarity and excellent low light performance, with a very useful set of aim points (BDC).

I found very early on when it came to shooting gear that want and need are two very different things...

I've also recently found that my better half has managed to amass over 30K in credit card debt

Given that I already have the above Nikon and Bushnell, do I need to look at selling them to fund something else to go onto a .243 or .270, or will they do for now assuming I simply ignore the mil dots ?

I'm putting a 3-9x40 BDC Prostaff on the .22LR, zeroing at probably 50 or 60 yards and then plotting the BDC impact points for longer range

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks for looking
    Use them and be happy.... What are the conditions that you plan to hunt in? Range, game, etc..... You only have to satisfy your self.....

Don't really know much about the newer bushnell legends but the monarch will definatly do the job just fine. i would imagine the bushnell would be fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Use them and be happy.... What are the conditions that you plan to hunt in? Range, game, etc..... You only have to satisfy your self.....

Mainly the Scottish Borders and Dumfries & Galloway for Roe, Sika and Red. Mostly fairly heavily wooded, often stalking through the woods and not just skirting them, or shooting from a stand.

Pretty standard stuff.

I wouldn't give it a second thought... Someone will prolly look down their nose at you, but it wll help you flush and weed out the snobs.....

SD Regular
    Either scope will do you admirably for at least the medium term. Go with the emotional decision - always best. Either of those scopes should sell pretty easily. I'd be looking at the Nikon if it were coming up....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Personally I'd go for the Nikon out of the two
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Either will do the job to get you started or you could sell them both to buy what you want , both are more than up to the job and to get back some of the twilight factor that the bigger names will give just shoot them on low mag.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    I wouldn't give it a second thought... Someone will prolly look down their nose at you, but it wll help you flush and weed out the snobs.....

I'm 6' 4"

It's not very often that I'm looked down on

Not bothered about what others think of the gear from the brand snobbery perspective - I'm only concerned from the perspective of whether it will do the job which, it would appear, they will

Today must be my lucky day - the scopes seem to have generated some interest and offers...

I think the Nikon will go onto a .270 and the Bushnell will go onto a .243 or a .223

That should keep me out of mischief for a while, until I get things sorted out.

I was toying with selling the Busnell to fund a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50. Still might - it's been out of the box long enough for me to look through it, and then put back away.

Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
    I'm 6' 4"

It's not very often that I'm looked down on

Not bothered about what others think of the gear from the brand snobbery perspective - I'm only concerned from the perspective of whether it will do the job which, it would appear, they will

Today must be my lucky day - the scopes seem to have generated some interest and offers...

I think the Nikon will go onto a .270 and the Bushnell will go onto a .243 or a .223

That should keep me out of mischief for a while, until I get things sorted out.

I was toying with selling the Busnell to fund a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50. Still might - it's been out of the box long enough for me to look through it, and then put back away.
    I've got a 6x42 and asked at a gunshop what the benefit would be in switching to a x50 or 56 and the guy said "5 to ten minutes"... If you need to shoot in dark, one of the green cree led lights clamped on top of the scope (can pick up the 802 light with remote for about 35 euro on ebay and a clamp for another 5 or so...) will reach out there as far as you should be comfortable shooting..

These are better than the deals I got.... I believe both will deliver to you cheap.. Or just google it yourself and find them in the UK.

http://www.lightmalls.com/uniquefire...control-switch

http://www.lights-box.com/led-flashl...ting-gun-mount
    Last edited by daven; 05-02-2014 at 12:39. Reason: links