Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle change

Rifle change

l am thinking of changing the 243 for a 6.5x55 is this a wise move, l mainly stalk roe and munties but also take the odd fallow and red.
    As far as manufacturer is concerned l am thinking of maybe a sako the 85 model or mannlicher, l have a 308 in sako and love it but have no experience of the 85ís, what is the general opinion of these makes and models.
    l will be reloading the new calibre so what would be the best brew to cover the spectrum of what l stalk.

Hi Monynut,
    You know what is going to happen now don't you! So before the arguement gets going, can I say that I have a 243 and a 308 my next rifle will be a 6.5x55. I really regret getting rid of my old Swede. I have promised myself that if I get my new job I will treat myself to a T3 Tikka Varmint in 6.5x55. I can't wait!

Sako 75 vs 85

Other than different magazine release, and no silly key lock system, the main difference is the shape of the stock, and that is down to personal choice. There is no monte carlo stock on the 85 and this may present slight problems. I personally prefer the stock of the 75.

An interesting point is that the recoil felt on a 30-06 75 SS is less than on a 30-06 85 SS, when a mate of mine bought an 85. But this should make little difference on a 6.5x55 (my 2nd deer calibre).

I chopped my Ruger 308 in for a Mannlicher ProHunter SS in 6.5. Great piece of kit, and the calibre is a revelation. Very low percieved recoil, superbly accurate...love it!

I have a 243 and a 6.5X55 and can tell you that you will not be disappointed with the 6.5. Irrespective of make the recognised fodder for a 6.5 is a 140 gr bullet and widely acknowledged as being a highly effective round. Having said that I have had great success with the Hornady 129 gr Interlock, with 45 grains of H4350, on both Roebuck and Sika Stags.

John

DaveG

Re: Rifle change

Quote Originally Posted by monynut
    l am thinking of changing the 243 for a 6.5x55 is this a wise move, l mainly stalk roe and munties but also take the odd fallow and red.
    As far as manufacturer is concerned l am thinking of maybe a sako the 85 model or mannlicher, l have a 308 in sako and love it but have no experience of the 85ís, what is the general opinion of these makes and models.
    l will be reloading the new calibre so what would be the best brew to cover the spectrum of what l stalk.
    Why do you want to change and what do you hope to gain from the change?
    The swede fall right in between your 2 current calibres. Yet brings no distinct advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG

The swede fall right in between your 2 current calibres. Yet brings no distinct advantages.
    The 243 l have is an old cz and has given me many years of good service l have shot many deer and foxes with it but the old girl is beginning to get a bit tied so a change of rifle is defiantly on the cards and to be honest l fancy a change in calibre but not to far away from the 243 so l feel a 6.5 will fit the bill.

l know that a one for one variation will cost me nothing but l am also adding another calibre to my ticket other than the 6.5 so l will have to pay for the variation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by monynut
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG

The 243 l have is an old cz and has given me many years of good service l have shot many deer and foxes with it but the old girl is beginning to get a bit tied so a change of rifle is defiantly on the cards and to be honest l fancy a change in calibre but not to far away from the 243 so l feel a 6.5 will fit the bill.

l know that a one for one variation will cost me nothing but l am also adding another calibre to my ticket other than the 6.5 so l will have to pay for the variation anyway.
    How about Sako A7 in 7mm-08? I like both T3 and M85, and A7 should be something between them.

Ahh now your talking, 25.06, is my cup of tea every time. Good flat shooting hard hitting calibre 8)

DaveG
    Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc
    Ahh now your talking, 25.06, is my cup of tea every time. Good flat shooting hard hitting calibre 8)

Go the whole way and just get a .270