Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flooding on the Somerset levels, situation is now dire

Flooding on the Somerset levels, situation is now dire

On Monday am things were pretty dire but from this ams train journey its getting perilously close to a major disaster

This am the water is now touching the railway ballast on the main line just south of Bridgewater, its risen 6-12" overnight, thats an incredible amount of water over many square miles and the level of the River Tone at Taunton must be appraoching record levels, with just the top of the signs on the footpath visible, its probably up 4 ft from its already flooded state yesterday.

There are fields underwater which I have never seen flooded in the last 2 years and its much worse than last year.

The forecast looks terrible and the situation can only deterioate further.

D

I was in Gloucester last night and its bad enough around there, the weather was awful yet again.
    Like you say fields were like lakes which I have nit seen flooded before in that area.

The track further down the line at Dawlish has been quite badly damaged and apparently there are no trains running between Taunton and Penzance at all, with limited bus replacement, not good.

I really feel for the folk affected by this. I'm getting fed up of drying dogs, rifle and stalking gear but I'm thankful it don't flood by me. Some farmers are going to go out of business I reckon after this. You got to ask why the government are not doing anything as far as I can see. But hey let's take in some Syrian refugees and give them some billions of taxpayers money. Then there's the wildlife that's got to be drowning its a disaster in anyone's book.

1.7billion Pillar I SPS public money subsidies goes to farmers every year. 20% of the recipients get 80% of the money. Many of them really don't need it (big grain / agri barrons) they should help out their fellows in Somerset.

That and reduce our foreign aid hand outs

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    1.7billion Pillar I SPS public money subsidies goes to farmers every year. 20% of the recipients get 80% of the money. Many of them really don't need it (big grain / agri barrons) they should help out their fellows in Somerset.

That and reduce our foreign aid hand outs
    You forget - the SPS handouts have conditions attached, which effectively prevent farmers from carrying out drainage works, dredging etc. No wonder everything is in such a mess. Apparently that's the way the government (and presumably those who elected them) want. Don't blame the farmers - we just do what we're told!

hay duke you also might want to look into how much councils, mod, FC and government departments claim in sps.

You all worry too much... It'll be alright come summer...

So when do you thing the first hose pipe ban will be enforced .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    So when do you thing the first hose pipe ban will be enforced .
    Well, I realise that's a flippant comment, but how much of this excess water Is being stored?... In answer I would say July / August next year...