Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0.22 Moderater Problem

0.22 Moderater Problem

Just bought a new A-Tec mod. for my .22 and it is spraying the shots about all over the place. The rifle is spot on without the mod. so I suppose it must be the problem, but why?
    It was fine with its old Parker Hale mod but it was worn out so had to be replaced.
    Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thread not straight and bullets are clipping it on exit?

SD Regular
    T has a good point. Also as an ATEC, just strip the mod down, grease the 'O' rings on each section and don't overtighten when putting back together, but make sure it's firm as they can unscrew. It'll give you a good indication of whether there has been any contact inside at the same time.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I'm sure people might think I'm talking rubbish but when I changed to an ATec last year on my 22.250 I found that it went from rounds touching at 100m with my old ASE S5, to being no closer than an inch at best; and after the 3rd round in quick succession any subsequent rounds walk up the target about an inch and a half each time. Let it cool down and back to normal.

My mate changed to an ATec at the same time and had exactly the same results. That said the rifle is much better balanced with the ATec and as 99% of my shots are taken standing with Charlie getting the first round out of a cold barrel it's worth it for the weight saving.

Jim

SD Regular
    Without being rude, and no offense is intended, when you hang a weight from the end of a barrel then do you NOT expect a change in the barrel harmonics? I expect that it may be that the new moderator has either altered these or is not a good TIGHT fit on the barrel. Maybe try PTFE tape on the threads?

A lightweight moderator...think the old Parker Hale sort, probably wont make much difference. But a heavy weight on the end of the barrel can. From actual experience sticking a bayonet onto the end of the SMLE or the N04 used to have a dramatic effect on the point of impact of the shots. Three feet or so at one hundred yards.

What do these modern things weigh? If you want one of the old style PH moderators call Joe Beatham at Gunshop East Barnet. He has more than the odd one still in stock!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 05-02-2014 at 12:59.

I know loads of people who have had problems with strippable, modular moderators and spent a lot of time, money and ammo chasing the problem. The bottom line is, for a rifle to be consistantly accurate and reliable you need to eliminate as many variables as possible and a strippable moderator simply introduces more.

Had to sort similar problem on an air rifle, turned out to be a misalignment and pellets were touching the side of the baffle.

As a question what dia is the hole in the Atec cf the P/Hale.

Also if iyts a harmonics thing weigh both and add suitable piece strip lead to the A Tec to bring it to the same weight of the P/h and see if thats the issue. I do however suspect its a thread misalignement issue.

D

Had similar with a moderator and it was the bullet clipping a baffle that was the problem.
    Hope you get it sorted as it would be doing my head in.

Don't suppose you or anyone else fancies flogging me their old PH silencer?
    Know they are not expensive new but times ain't good at the mo

Had the same problem on my 22 I have a old and I mean old PH on it, tried several of the more modern mods, it shot every where, sticking with the PH.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    T has a good point. Also as an ATEC, just strip the mod down, grease the 'O' rings on each section and don't overtighten when putting back together, but make sure it's firm as they can unscrew. It'll give you a good indication of whether there has been any contact inside at the same time.

+ 1 with Eric
    mine took a while to settle in, but as Eric said, I stripped mine back had a good look at it re fitted, greased up, no problem ever since, accurate as damn to .50 of an inch

good luck

phil