Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dawlish.

Dawlish.

I was born and bred in Dawlish.
    After years of being pounded by the sea the wall finally gave way.

Last edited by basil; 05-02-2014 at 13:21.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Just been watching it on the BBC news.
    It always amazes me that nature can have such a destructive power!

I wouldn't fancy a walk from Dawlish Warren to Dawlish today would you Basil?
    Cheers
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I wouldn't fancy a walk from Dawlish Warren to Dawlish today would you Basil?
    Cheers
    Richard
    It`s a decent walk with the dogs but i think i`ll give it a miss for the foreseeable future.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I was at Teignmouth at high tide this AM. certainly wouldn't like to take a stroll out to Sprey Point!

What amazes me is this stretch must have been battered for years and I can only assume would have been subjected to regular checks for erosion etc. in view of the recent weather and it's predictions then why was something not put in place before hand to offer some protection? It seems that in this country we are always picking up the pieces, spending a fortune on repairs then doing nothing to prevent it happening again
    Wingy

spent many hours pointing and replacing stone that got washed out that wall when work was slow on other sites they would send us to point the wall like penal servitude

Wingy has a good point it is always reactive rather than pro active maintenance in this country. Seafront along west hoe has been eroding for years and fell into such a state and then cost a fortune to repair, keeping on top of it would have prevented that. Always trying to save thats the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    spent many hours pointing and replacing stone that got washed out that wall when work was slow on other sites they would send us to point the wall like penal servitude
    Well you obviously didn't do a good enough job
    ha ha, just kidding...... It was gonna happen sooner or later

No stopping nature,this was what happened to one of my fishing stores this morning just one rouge wave was all it took.
    Attachment 37693Attachment 37694
    Best bit is I've got 12,000 worth of engine sat in there with all the rocker gear off and I don't think it will be covered by insurance and couldn't get it out as the wall is on the verge of collapse the only thing holding it up is the door frames,it will be full of salt water now, ohh happy days!