Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best whisky

What is the best whisky

I know this will probably raise a debate. I'm not a whisky buff, but do enough a wee dram.
    I've tried & really liked macallan & balvinne 15 year old.
    Just working my way through a bottle of Bowmore islay malt.
    Any other suggestions for a really good malt ?????.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Single cask, cask strength is a good start if you're serious about your whisky.

www.smws.co.uk/

Bushmills Malt 21 yr old.

Re: What is the best whisky

Quote Originally Posted by needsy
    I know this will probably raise a debate. I'm not a whisky buff, but do enough a wee dram.
    I've tried & really liked macallan & balvinne 15 year old.
    Just working my way through a bottle of Bowmore islay malt.
    Any other suggestions for a really good malt ?????.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
    What a subject, that's like asking what's the best car. Everyone's opinion will vary according to taste as it does with wine. I once won a bottle of 'Sheep dip' single malt and that was nice but, I don't think you can beat being sat in front of a nice fire with good company and a good malt of any make it's a nice way to while away an evening.

I think like wine the one that you like is the one for you, but, finding it could be expensive if you go by the bottle but, it's a good life if can afford it.

You will find that some have a smokey or peaty after taste according to the water used but, again that's taste preference.

Dave

Jameson's Redbreast, 12yro single pot still.

That would be Irish 8)

oh dear i feel a disruption in the force

jamesons

Yes, Jameson's is good stuff much as it pains me as a Scot to say that.
    Jameson's Gold is a very nice blended whisky with an individual taste at a good price.

fraser

February, this year i started a similar post. Ran for ages.
    basil.

I always chip in on this whisky threads, I'm far from an expert but I have some opinions, in fact I've lots of opinions but you don't have time for all of them

The thing with whisky is you can spend a fortune so if we assume you are restricting yourself to something that you might just be able to justify as a once in a blue moon special present to yourself, say less than 100, then here are my thoughts:

Black Bush from Bushmills is hard to beat as a blend and general drinking whiskey and is about 20 a bottle. The 21 year old Bushmills single malt is supposed to be wonderful but I've never tried it.

As you say the Macallan is fantastic drinking and the standard malt is good but the 18 year old, which can be had for less than 100 sometimes, is worth a try if you can justify it. It is like the standard Macallan but more.

We couldn't not mention Glenfiddich on a stalking web site and I would recommend the 21 year old. You can get this in Glasgow/Edinburgh airport for just a shade over 50 a bottle and it is worth it for a treat. It is probably the best affordable whisky in the sense that I feel it punches a little above its weight. (just like Minox HG binos for example )

Worth a try is the Tomintoul 16 year old, or even the 27. It is good whisky and you can get the one litre bottles of the 16 in Glasgow/Edinburgh airports for 30 which I think it really good VFM.

I have tried a lot of different malts and in my very ignorant opinion it is usually hard to beat the big name brands. I always feel I want to support the smaller operations, and each will have its own claim to be the smallest, or highest, or lowest, or something distillery, but in the end buy the Tomintoul 16, the Glenfiddich 21 and the Macallan 18 and I think you will not beat them.

You will notice the Islays missing as I like the odd glass but am not a big fan and for all I know this post might directly contradict the last one I made on the subject but I change my mind a lot!

If you like them smokey and peaty try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. It's a beauty. If you like them really smokey try Smokehead. If you're not keen on the west coast stuff the Dalwhinnie is a good starter.