Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hornet Loader

New Hornet Loader

So i have collected the main items over a period of time and just a few more to get.
    But what i woulkd like to ask is i am about to start loading for my cz527 .22 hornet i wont be loading massive amounts so were do i start with loads i dont want to buy several bullet heads then never use them again due to i find one that works do i stick with one head and powder and just work that.
    Can any body give me some advice on the best ( and cheapest) plan of attack

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsniper View Post
    So i have collected the main items over a period of time and just a few more to get.
    But what i woulkd like to ask is i am about to start loading for my cz527 .22 hornet i wont be loading massive amounts so were do i start with loads i dont want to buy several bullet heads then never use them again due to i find one that works do i stick with one head and powder and just work that.
    Can any body give me some advice on the best ( and cheapest) plan of attack

Many thanks

what bullets do you put through it? say if its a 35grain and it groups well, buy 35 grain bullets, then look in a reloading manual and find what powder they use, got to your local gun shop buy that powder, then work from there, that's what I done, with my 222. and it seems to work well enough for me.

charlie

1. Small Federal Gold Match Primers
    2. Hodgdon Lil-Gun Powder
    3. Hornady 35g V-Max Bullets
    4. RWS Cases (if you can find them) or Winchester.

Check book for SAFE STARTING load and if you get to 13 grains without early high pressure warnings stop there. It will probably be the most accurate load too.

K

Very similar to Klenchblaize' recipe. CCI standard small pistol primer, 13grains H Lil'Gun, 40 grain Sierra hollow point bullet and Winchester brass. 2,900 fps chronographed. I keep intending to crimp but haven't done so yet. Rifle is a 1954 BSA.
    Bullet seating depth (overall length) for the .22 Hornet is likely to be determined by what will fit in the magazine rather than any other possibilities. Depending upon the make and type of rifle of course.
    Last edited by Uncle Norm; 05-02-2014 at 18:55. Reason: more info

I use
    Federal small pistol primers
    13 grains lil gun
    Sierra 40 grain soft points
    PPU brass
    I use a factory crimp die as recomended by Muir
    Clover leafs in my Bruno

BTW 13 grain in the PPU brass is a full to the top real easy to messure.

Rem 6 small rifle, or Federal small pistol primers (makes no odds)
    11.5 grains H110
    35 grain V-max
    PPU brass
    I only step up to Lil'gun for 45 grain bullets.

Neil.

Thirteen point five grains of Lil Gun, a 35 gain V-Max loaded to easily fit in the magazine and crimped. (provided you have trimmed the cases to an identical length) If you want to see a nice bump in accuracy, get a Lee Universal Neck Expander Die and flare the case neck before charging the case, seating the bullet, and crimping. +1 on Small Pistol Primers. Neil's load is excellent as well but with higher chamber pressures than the Lil Gun. Accurate Arms 1680 is excellent as well. These three are the top Hornet powders IMHO~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Accurate Arms 1680 is excellent as well. ~Muir
    I'd love the chance to find out first hand, but more importantly I
    want to try it in the 7.62x39

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I'd love the chance to find out first hand, but more importantly I
    want to try it in the 7.62x39

Neil.
    Smallest three shot group I ever fired was with 35 gr VM and 1680; it was pretty much one hole. The following week I fired a ten shot group that was .66" center to center with seven inside a half inch circle. The draw back? A little peaky but then... I guess everything is a little peaky when compared to Lil Gun!~Muir

I did try 5744 in my hornet with resnable success I will have to look at my reloading book to see what the charge was.