Thread: Winchester 168g Ballistic Silvertips

Winchester 168g Ballistic Silvertips

Until recently all my deer have been heart/lung shot with 120g BTs in 6.5x55; apart from one Muntjac I have had no significant meat damage in the thirty odd animals shot (nearly all roe).

While the scope on the Tikka is being retrofitted with a ballistic turret Iíve started using a Sako in .308 that was acquired for the larger species/pigs. I tried feeding it six types of factory ammunition and eventually chose Winchester 168g BSTs which grouped at under ĺ inch at 105m. It may be fussy because the barrel has been shortened to 19 inches but it makes for a very handy rifle even with a Quicksilver titanium mod attached. Muzzle velocity has been reduced to around 2600 fps.

The meat damage, on two roe shot at 60 yards, has been horrendous compared to my limited experience. The exit holes have both been fist sized with ribs and shoulders smashed to bits.

I know itís a small sample group but I hate wasting venison and am not confident head/neck shooting. Have I just been unlucky, should I persist? Would the round be suitable for itís intended quarry of fallow and pigs or could I expect similar damage and do I need to look for alternative ammunition? Does anyone here use the round, if so, what has your experience been?

I remember reading somewhere that Mike Yardley shoots everything with .308 180g and reckons he suffers little meat damage. Anyway I have now learnt that accuracy is not necessarily the most important factor

Many thanks in advance.

My understanding is that the Combined Technologies Ballistic silver tip is just a lubricated Nosler ballistic tip.
    You could spend all day reading about the noslers if you do a search on here.
    I have found that some pointed soft point bullets can be just as accurate as the noslers, so that may be an option afterall.

Accuracy can be achieved with any projectile meant for modern arms, It just needs the right rifle/ mix/measure behind it. the old style Nosler Partition is almost a one hole producer in my .270, & it's only me that is preventing being so! My 7mm went & landed on the sweet spot with its first loadings with Hornady SST'S & A-max's @ 162gn 8)

Re: Winchester 168g Ballistic Silvertips

Quote Originally Posted by Bestman
    Until recently all my deer have been heart/lung shot with 120g BTs in 6.5x55; apart from one Muntjac I have had no significant meat damage in the thirty odd animals shot (nearly all roe).

While the scope on the Tikka is being retrofitted with a ballistic turret Iíve started using a Sako in .308 that was acquired for the larger species/pigs. I tried feeding it six types of factory ammunition and eventually chose Winchester 168g BSTs which grouped at under ĺ inch at 105m. It may be fussy because the barrel has been shortened to 19 inches but it makes for a very handy rifle even with a Quicksilver titanium mod attached. Muzzle velocity has been reduced to around 2600 fps.

The meat damage, on two roe shot at 60 yards, has been horrendous compared to my limited experience. The exit holes have both been fist sized with ribs and shoulders smashed to bits.

I know itís a small sample group but I hate wasting venison and am not confident head/neck shooting. Have I just been unlucky, should I persist? Would the round be suitable for itís intended quarry of fallow and pigs or could I expect similar damage and do I need to look for alternative ammunition? Does anyone here use the round, if so, what has your experience been?

I remember reading somewhere that Mike Yardley shoots everything with .308 180g and reckons he suffers little meat damage. Anyway I have now learnt that accuracy is not necessarily the most important factor

Many thanks in advance.
    Hi,

if you read my post on bullet strike it might help in some way. If you self load then the reduction of powder will reduce the velocity and the ultimate amount of meat damage as the higher the velocity the less energy can be retained in the beast, and the faster the bullet goes through the more collection of body material will be pushed through, causing a bigger exit wound.

The heavier the bullet the more energy is likely to be dumped in the beast and slow its exit.

If you are woodland stalking, as a rule most deer are shot within a 60yd range and therefore having excessive powder is wasted. If you are in a high seat and potentially shooting long rides then either restrict yourself or practice at those longer ranges memorising bullet drop and therefore compensate on holdover for the extreme ranges.

Remembering that all the time the bullet is reacting to velocity over gravity and gravity will always win eventually so with less powder the longer ranges will need the hold over but. you will do less damage at closer ranges. On the other hand do not go to extreme ranges with less powder as you will end up looking for wounded beasts which have not been dropped due low velocity.

The balistic tips are designed to mushroom faster and therefore will collect more bone and meat in front of it as it travels through the beast and if this is at high velocity then the exit wound will always be excessive.

Hope this helps

Dave

nosler combined technology
    wot a load of sh@t
    just another way to charge more for heads that do exactly the same as most heads at a 3rd of the price
    might improve accuracy but that means sh@t against performance
    and yes i hav tried them

My prime gun for deer is a A bolt Synth Stalker - T8 mod and Swaro TDS -4.

Up till recently i shot everything with 150g Fed V shock - with varying damage depending on the placement and species. This grouped ok at 100yards roughly 1"

I've now changed to 123g Sako ammo - complete diffence - meat damage is less, recoil is less and groups at 3/4". Roe does dont like 123g as they tell me its rather quick and bloody accurate beyond 100yards (we all know how a .308 bullet drops like a stone beyond 160-180 yards.) I think the Privi 150g's i put through her to break in the barrel was dropping 5-7" from 100yards to 180yard mark (i'm lucky enough to have a 400m range to test drop's.) The 123gr has no-where near this drop - 2in at the most...

Personally i dont shoot anything big enough to need to go back to larger grain bullets - i also think that just because its 150, 160, 168, 180 grains doesn't mean you kill (deer in particular) 'better' a well placed shot will kill the animal easily. It doesn't need to be knocked off its feet and arial skinned by a 210gr bullet!! Mind you if you go shooting pig - then i think you might want to go above the 180gr mark as if you see a big one you would want it running over and saying hello once you've flesh shot it!!

I would never shoot anything by Winchester - just my opinion based trying it whilst testing rifles with a friend who's an RFD and i've seen first hand how bloody crap their standard stuff is - let alone BT.

Tom

Thanks all for the replies.

It would seem that the BSTs, despite reduced MV due to the shortened barrel, are still expanding too rapidly for roe at close range.

I'm not very up on ballistics; do people think this round be suitable for anything or would I just get an even bigger blinking hole.

The 6.5 is back in action soon (Swarovski retrofitted a Ballistic Turret my scope in three weeks over Christmas for collection on the 4th for £170 - v impressive) So should I save the .308 for larger stuff or bin the BSTs and start again? If so, any suggestions?