Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish DMGs

Scottish DMGs

It seems the Scottish DMGs are in trouble from the bully boys in Edinburgh

BBC News - Deer control progress

(hope the link works)

Ed

So how do we find out which DMG's are under performing? Also how does one get involved in a DMG. Are they only there to collect existing deer managers together to form a single unit which then communicates up the chain. Or does a DMG actually seek management contracts from land owners and then find contractors to fill the need. Seems strange that there are plenty of guys who are looking for deer stalking and can not find any. I realize that it would be very difficult to organize large numbers of recreational stalkers to do a professional job. However there must be many like myself and shooting buddy who put in 40+ days a year and still don't seem to get a look in at any tenders. I would have thought a DMG could look towards guys like myself and mate and use us as part of a team to cover ground.
    Also who collects the figures. I can only assume all the big forestry companies like tilhill, fountains and scottish woodlands put in the cull figures from the syndicates working land they manage to the local DMG. Who collects the data from small syndicates or individuals covering smaller parcels of land. I'm sure these small numbers must add up to a reasonable amount and may well not be included in a national figure of culled animals.

Hi woodmaster it is not strange that there are plenty of guys who are looking for deer stalking and can not find any .
    It is about time we all WAKE UP and sort it OUT.
    STALKING FOR ALL & lets get the job Done.

Den.

MmmmNow which groups have enough power and money to lobby parliament and could possibly influence the government 's response to a review of deer management in their favour?!?!?.......

Fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    So how do we find out which DMG's are under performing? Also how does one get involved in a DMG. Are they only there to collect existing deer managers together to form a single unit which then communicates up the chain. Or does a DMG actually seek management contracts from land owners and then find contractors to fill the need. Seems strange that there are plenty of guys who are looking for deer stalking and can not find any. I realize that it would be very difficult to organize large numbers of recreational stalkers to do a professional job. However there must be many like myself and shooting buddy who put in 40+ days a year and still don't seem to get a look in at any tenders. I would have thought a DMG could look towards guys like myself and mate and use us as part of a team to cover ground.
    Also who collects the figures. I can only assume all the big forestry companies like tilhill, fountains and scottish woodlands put in the cull figures from the syndicates working land they manage to the local DMG. Who collects the data from small syndicates or individuals covering smaller parcels of land. I'm sure these small numbers must add up to a reasonable amount and may well not be included in a national figure of culled animals.
    Oh which groups are under preforming ministers hype more like .

There is a bit of a bigger picture here, no one has mentioned, which many of the stalkers have mentioned to the ADMG's but again all falls on deaf ears, when these counts are done many of their deer are in over wintering ground, which over exemplifies the deer numbers for that particular area, if the stalkers go in and hammer these areas ,when the deer open back out to the summer grazing ground, the numbers are a quarter of what has been checked and counted ,here in lays the problem, who suffers, the estates, the stalkers ,both to be honest but try telling those that shine a seat with there arze, they don't understand deer summer and winter migration.

It is about time that those at the top, went out on to the ground and at lease try to understand the dilemma involved, if they hammer these deer ,wintering grounds can and do hold deer from various estates, all in for easy winter pickings, it is about time SNH "our" so called "experts" actually got out of there offices, and take stock of the numbers in the summer and not the winter, but as we the stalkers know if you wish to make a dent in the deer population do it in the winter, as they are grouped which also means they are easily counted as well .

If SNH are not careful the Deer Commission side of them, "will vanish", there budget has been cut substantively at the moment, what next if these deer are removed the government may just say there's no requirement for a huge deer department. Thus they should be there doing the job correctly then giving the minister the whole truth, and not the half cocked crap the media are spouting at the moment .

ADMG | Association of Deer Management Groups | ADMG

Lowland Deer Network Scotland |
    Last edited by widows son; 07-02-2014 at 04:07. Reason: Link

Yes WS spot on.

I can well understand the frustration of the many folk out there who cant get stalking, myself included.So when we see things like this being published we are pissed off. But what I would say is that these deer management groups may well not agree with the cull figures they've been given. What rights do they have.
    Just for instance imagine yourself being the owner of a bit of ground and the government come to you and say we want you to kill x amount of deer over and above what you think is right, wouldn't you be pissed off. I know I would. As is said above, these figures are in the main dished out by folk who have no idea what the ground is like, whether or not its capable of holding the number of deer on it, they just see acres then decide there should be x amount per acre! Is that right - no.
    So before we all get our pants in a twist look at it from the other side and remember this is coming fom politicians... I know who I'd believe and its not politicians or government depts.

Your correct about the "politicians and government depts." Salmo Salar, this is being driven by Bob Gibson SNP MSP who is being, in turn, driven to an extent by the power of the John Muir Trusts well financed lobbying department. Bob Gibson is the MSP who would have the highlands covered in millions on tons of hard core and concrete for wind turbines. How will that affect animals and plants for the next 1000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Salar View Post
    I can well understand the frustration of the many folk out there who cant get stalking, myself included.So when we see things like this being published we are pissed off. But what I would say is that these deer management groups may well not agree with the cull figures they've been given. What rights do they have. .

they are not currently "given" cull figures. They decide them
    SNH/FC and now MSP's want to change that......"having someone make there own decisions!??! outrageous!"

I agree that the biggest issue with any of this is the farcical count system
    you are counting fish in the sea in one place one day and counting the fish in the sea in another place another day!!
    Fish swim
    Deer walk

double counts have been going on for years
    They also do not BELONG TO ANYONE!!
    stop counting them inside boundaries that they (the deer) do not recognise or stop at!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    they are not currently "given" cull figures. They decide them
    SNH/FC and now MSP's want to change that......"having someone make there own decisions!??! outrageous!"

I agree that the biggest issue with any of this is the farcical count system
    you are counting fish in the sea in one place one day and counting the fish in the sea in another place another day!!
    Fish swim
    Deer walk

double counts have been going on for years
    They also do not BELONG TO ANYONE!!
    stop counting them inside boundaries that they (the deer) do not recognise or stop at!
    Reminds me of this...