Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info required on a parker hale .308 please

info required on a parker hale .308 please

Hiya Guys looking for a bit of advise and help regarding my Parker Hale .308

it looks like a Mauser action with a detachable box mag

i struggle to post photos on here but can email them out to people

i'm wanting to change the short sporting barrel to a 32" heavy target barrel for FTR

along with changing the stock etc

my only concern is i don't want to change the barrel to find the action is the inferior spanish copy of the Mauser action

regards

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leebut View Post
    Hiya Guys looking for a bit of advise and help regarding my Parker Hale .308

it looks like a Mauser action with a detachable box mag

i struggle to post photos on here but can email them out to people

i'm wanting to change the short sporting barrel to a 32" heavy target barrel for FTR

along with changing the stock etc

my only concern is i don't want to change the barrel to find the action is the inferior spanish copy of the Mauser action

regards

Lee
    don't think it matters if your going to spend the money. As long as the smith knows what he / she is doing and trues the action. I've got a zastava and thinking about having a shortish heavy sporter barrel put on.

i might be putting some pokey loads into this action hence why id like the Mauser action and not the Santa Barbara

lee

I wouldn't consider the Santa Barbara actions inferior or weaker. If anything they are possibly a little stronger as they won't have the thumb loading cut out in the left receiver wall that the ex military actions will have. Parker Hale made a lot of heavy target and sniper rifles using the Spanish actions.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

SD Regular
    I'd agree with 8x57 about the action. Nothing wrong with a Santa Barbara at all. Just bull**** form American gun writers that think that if it has got "Oberndorf" on it it isn't "a proper Mauser action". Now as for changing it I really think that you would be less financially impoversished by just sourcing a complete P-Hale .308 target rifle either from an auction, untrader, or even Fulton at Bisley. These things aren't popular nowadays and even Fulton might reflect that in THEIR asking price!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 06-02-2014 at 23:32.

thank you guys for the comments i must admit i did think the same about the receiver cut out would weaken the mauser action my .243 is stamped as mauser Oberndorf with the cut out but the parker hale is solid receiver, in your opinions which of the parker hale target rifles would you recommend to shoot 1000 yards

cheers

Lee

I also forgot to mention that the receivers on some wartime production Mausers were not properly heat treated and as a result were quite brittle. I have read that this may have been deliberate acts of sabotage by forced labour. Though I would have though Parker Hale was quite aware of this when selecting actions to use for their rifles.
    Last edited by 8x57; 07-02-2014 at 07:17.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Lee,
    If you mean the modern Spanish action that Parker Hale used there is nothing wrong with it, I know of 2 biggies in .300 Holland that do what is needed here at home and have made several trips to the Dark Continent nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I'd agree with 8x57 about the action. Nothing wrong with a Santa Barbara at all. Just bull**** form American gun writers that think that if it has got "Oberndorf" on it it isn't "a proper Mauser action". Now as for changing it I really think that you would be less financially impoversished by just sourcing a complete P-Hale .308 target rifle either from an auction, untrader, or even Fulton at Bisley. These things aren't popular nowadays and even Fulton might reflect that in THEIR asking price!
    Good advice . I'd look for a P - H target rifle , it would definitely be more economical and , if in good shape , very accurate . I've also owned a number of Santa Barbara auctioned P-H's over the years in some higher pressure rounds ( 300 WM, 308 Norma Mag and 7mm RM )and never had any problems with them , they were all totally reliable and accurate rifles. I have seen some sporters built on military Mausers that developed locking lug set back after a few hundred rounds of factory loaded ammo, one 280 Rem and a 30-06 . Military actions vary wildly in quality and finish , to be honest , I'd rate the Czech 98's as some of the best . but by the time your done modifying it for target shooting, it will be worth about half of what you paid to build it if you try and sell it , IMHO

AB

My shooting mate from devon has a parker hale target rifle.in a black synthetic stock. Timney trigger.
    and 16 or 18 inch bull barrel with brake.

owes him next to nothing yet you wouldnt believe the groups it shoots. Ive seen the groupings at 100 and 200 yards with it.
    and put it this way. He has beaten some people with very dear rifles at the range.

of course it helps if your a great shot. And has some cracking load data for it