308 v 270

paultap

Hi guys, what is your opinion on the 308 v 270 as a step up in power over the 243, I am looking at something more suitable for any of the larger / tougher species in the UK ie Sika stags, red stags and possibly wild boar, I would be able to reload for either calibre.

many thanks.

Would you rather drive a fiesta or a Clio ? Both will kill what your wanting too . I have a .308 and a .30-06 . But the .270 is a belting round too . Find a rifle you like in one of the calibers and choose a rifle that feels right !

if you are reloading then 7mm has great bullet selection, better than the .270.
7mm08 would give you a nice alternative to .308 with better sectional density than the same .30" bullet weight.
.280rem, .284win, 7x64 great calibres for stalking
.308 is easy for factory ammo and choice of 2nd hand rifles but not as fast as .270 which is also easy for factory ammo
all will do the job and all are good, just depends what you like really...

if you are reloading then 7mm has great bullet selection, better than the .270.
7mm08 would give you a nice alternative to .308 with better sectional density than the same .30" bullet weight.
.280rem, .284win, 7x64 great calibres for stalking
.308 is easy for factory ammo and choice of 2nd hand rifles but not as fast as .270 which is also easy for factory ammo
all will do the job and all are good, just depends what you like really...
Like to see you talked yourself into the 270 in the end. Good round seemingly discounted by most these days in favour of the latest fashionable round.

Hi guys, what is your opinion on the 308 v 270 as a step up in power over the 243, I am looking at something more suitable for any of the larger / tougher species in the UK ie Sika stags, red stags and possibly wild boar, I would be able to reload for either calibre.

many thanks.

I picked .308 over .270 on the basis that there are more amo choices in .308 and much wider availability worldwide.
They'll both kill a deer.

I have got both but the 270 is taken out the cabinet far more than the 308.

I have shot all UK deer species a few wild boar, one of them being 115 kg keiler all with my trusty 270.

Both will be fine for larger tougher animals.

The 308 may be more internationally common. However every gun shop I have ever been in, in the UK has stocked some factory 270.

Given you are planning on reloading, all components are just as easy to come by.

Last edited:
Like to see you talked yourself into the 270 in the end. Good round seemingly discounted by most these days in favour of the latest fashionable round.
i actually chose the .308 ;)
but the .270 is good too
i picked .308 as target work was also on the cards
Much better choices and body of knowledge on target for .308
If its stalking only then now I'd go .270 rather than .308
a nice sako 75 in either calibre.....

I would say the .270 is better suited to the open hill (due to flat trajectory).
Not to say the .308 won't do the job perfectly well. (It will.)
Your .308 has a wider variety of bullets (weights).
The .270 has a sharper recoil but you have to make that decision for
yourself.Try both & buy the one you like best and go Stalking.
Enjoy & ATB whichever way you go!

Buck.

Last edited:
Both very flexible:
.308 with SAKO 123gr loads = .270
.270 with 150gr loads = .308

I have both, but the .270 is the main hill-rifle now.

If you really are concerned about wild boar I'd choose NEITHER but go for a 30-06. It'll do all that the 270 will do, and the 308 except one thing. And that is handle 180 grain, 190 grain and even 220 grain bullets better than either...if such things were even availbale in 270.

I've had both .270 and .308 and there is virtually no difference between the two at normal stalking ranges. The .308 does benefit however from a greater selection of available bullets. If as you say you are looking for a calibre for larger species in particular boar I would have to say that enfieldspares comments about the .30-06 are very valid.

I worried about this a great deal, and then a friend pointed this out...

Take two common factory loads - say Federal Vital Shok (with Nosler ballitic tips). 150gr in .308; 130gr in .270. Zero both at 185 yards.

Drop at 300 yards: .308 = -8.8 inches; .270 = -7.26 inches (or thereabouts - actual results will vary, but not by a significant amount).

Now bear in mind that the width of your cross hair probably represents in the region of 2-3 inches at 300 yards. So at the *absolute* screaming maximum I would ever consider taking a shot on a live animal, the difference between the two is so marginal that I am effectively incapable of adjusting for it. That is assuming a perfect shot: no wind, totally rested shooter, on a completely solid rest etc etc.

I stopped worrying and instead went looking for the nicest rifle I could find in either calibre. Got a .308 and am delighted with it.

To be fair I don't think you would be Dissapointed with either and deer or boar certainly wouldn't know the difference , as others have said you can use heavier bullets with the .308 but I think it's pretty much a muchness , I was looking at guntrader the other day and there were a fee cracking deals on .270 , if it was me I'd pick a rifle I like and fitted me well on either calibre
atb Jim

one thing you should consider if you have a .243 is having an identical parent case/action length rifle with a different calibre

not likely but accidents happen
not necessarily actually firing a .243 in a .308 or vice versa but finding yourself on the hill with .243 ammo and a 308 rifle because they are very similar

.243 and .270 have been short action/long action partners in crime for years and IMO (and I am biased) make a perfect split for ANY game in the UK, shooting 55-150+gr bullets all up around the 3000+fps mark

You don't need to shoot 180-200gr bullets to kill pigs even His Royal Boarness Franz Albrecht even uses a .270 on occasion

I worried about this a great deal, and then a friend pointed this out...

Take two common factory loads - say Federal Vital Shok (with Nosler ballitic tips). 150gr in .308; 130gr in .270. Zero both at 185 yards.

Drop at 300 yards: .308 = -8.8 inches; .270 = -7.26 inches (or thereabouts - actual results will vary, but not by a significant amount).

Now bear in mind that the width of your cross hair probably represents in the region of 2-3 inches at 300 yards. So at the *absolute* screaming maximum I would ever consider taking a shot on a live animal, the difference between the two is so marginal that I am effectively incapable of adjusting for it. That is assuming a perfect shot: no wind, totally rested shooter, on a completely solid rest etc etc.

I stopped worrying and instead went looking for the nicest rifle I could find in either calibre. Got a .308 and am delighted with it.

you sir , talk sense ! if you compare a 130g load from the 308 it's even closer! until they invent a laser or rail gun that's man portable all this talk of laser flat trajectories is nonsense.

If you need to buy guns that are different so you don't inadvertenly load the wrong ammo in them you probably should not own a gun...

SS

Back