Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako m591. Dovetail to weaver/ pictinnay rail ?

Sako m591. Dovetail to weaver/ pictinnay rail ?

Hi there

have a left handed sako m591 I'm thinking bout turning to a NV rig

Would be easier for mounting NV scopes if pictinnay rail

think the ski dovetails are tapered.... Anybody done this or know where to buy correct adapters ?

paul

I have an adapter on my 85 that I purchased from Alan Rhone. It is made by Recknagel and fits both the model 75 and the model 85. I don't know if it would fit your rifle but I would think they could tell you so. They were definately an awful lot cheaper from there than from a couple of other RFDs I enquired with and their service is superb.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I found a few adapters around but not sako specific
    I'm sure the dovetails for sako are tapered

ill search Alan rhone

paul

I use them and i think they are around 50 from the optics warehouse i use mine on the sako 85 dovetails for photon NV found you the add they just knock on .
    IOR Steel 2 Piece Sako To Picatinny / Weaver Rail Adapters
    Based on 1 ratings.
    IOR Steel 2 Piece Sako To Picatinny / Weaver Rail Adapters

These adapters from IOR allow you to turn your Sako tapared dovetails to a Std Weaver / Picatinny mounting system.

Will Fit all Sako Rifles 1-5

They Work by inference fit - so no need for screws ! Just give them a slight tap forward

Material - Steel
    Treatment - Anodized
    Colour - Black

Price: 39.13 ( 46.95 Inc. VAT)

Get a couple of scope bases and a rail and get an smith to screw them together accurately.
    Richard Pope did this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Get a couple of scope bases and a rail and get an smith to screw them together accurately.
    Richard Pope did this for me.
    +1
    just do the right thing and get a smith to drill and tap the receiver and fit a decent rail. Do it once, do it right.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

The Recknagel or Roedale rail fits on most. Have one on my L 579 Forester action.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Hi there

have a left handed sako m591 I'm thinking bout turning to a NV rig

Would be easier for mounting NV scopes if pictinnay rail

think the ski dovetails are tapered.... Anybody done this or know where to buy correct adapters ?

paul
    All this talk of drilling & tapping is off-beam.

It makes no difference if a Piccatinny Weaver rail is mounted onto Sako (tapered) or Tikka (straight) integral dovetail action mounts. You're not using these. Instead you're using the additional standard mounting holes already provided on the receiver ring and bridge FOR WEAVER MOUNTS OR RAILS (which are the standard 'U.S. mounts') every rifle maker provides. L591 actions have these, as do Tikka M595/M695/T3 actions.

If the holes on the rail don't line up (due to the spacing between the holes of the action) then get your Black and Decker out, and drill an extra pair of holes in the rail.

S'truth ... how complicated can this be?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

On a Sako you will need to have the dovetail base milled off before you can drill into the receiver or you will have very high base rail before you even fit the mounts , i agree in having the receiver correctly drilled if you hav't the skills to use a drill and tap and tape , after all its only a center line and xyz points to drill 3 or 4 small holes and a countersink the holes on the rail but if the holes are there in the receiver just mark them out on your bit of rail and D.I.Y .
    Ebay for the rail by the foot/mtr for peanuts so if you cock it up you can try again. its all made by the yard/mtr and cut up ready for sale .
    Last edited by paul o'; 07-02-2014 at 15:14.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    On a Sako you will need to have the dovetail base milled off before you can drill into the receiver or you will have very high base rail before you even fit the mounts , i agree in having the receiver correctly drilled if you hav't the skills to use a drill and tap and tape , after all its only a center line and xyz points to drill 3 or 4 small holes and a countersink the holes on the rail but if the holes are there in the receiver just mark them out on your bit of rail and D.I.Y .
    Ebay for the rail by the foot/mtr for peanuts so if you cock it up you can try again. its all made by the yard/mtr and cut up ready for sale .
    The M591 is not drilled/tapped as standard. And agreed, the top of the dovetail benefits from a 'skim' but you don't want to take much off, there isn't a huge amount of meat at the front as is.

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK