Sako m591. Dovetail to weaver/ pictinnay rail ?

sauer

Hi there

have a left handed sako m591 I'm thinking bout turning to a NV rig

Would be easier for mounting NV scopes if pictinnay rail

think the ski dovetails are tapered.... Anybody done this or know where to buy correct adapters ?

paul

I have an adapter on my 85 that I purchased from Alan Rhone. It is made by Recknagel and fits both the model 75 and the model 85. I don't know if it would fit your rifle but I would think they could tell you so. They were definately an awful lot cheaper from there than from a couple of other RFDs I enquired with and their service is superb.

I found a few adapters around but not sako specific
I'm sure the dovetails for sako are tapered

ill search Alan rhone

paul

I use them and i think they are around £50 from the optics warehouse i use mine on the sako 85 dovetails for photon NV found you the add they just knock on .
IOR Steel 2 Piece Sako To Picatinny / Weaver Rail Adapters
Based on 1 ratings.
IOR Steel 2 Piece Sako To Picatinny / Weaver Rail Adapters

These adapters from IOR allow you to turn your Sako tapared dovetails to a Std Weaver / Picatinny mounting system.

Will Fit all Sako Rifles 1-5

They Work by inference fit - so no need for screws ! Just give them a slight tap forward

Material - Steel
Treatment - Anodized
Colour - Black

Price: £39.13 ( £46.95 Inc. VAT)

Get a couple of scope bases and a rail and get an smith to screw them together accurately.
Richard Pope did this for me.

Get a couple of scope bases and a rail and get an smith to screw them together accurately.
Richard Pope did this for me.
+1
just do the right thing and get a smith to drill and tap the receiver and fit a decent rail. Do it once, do it right.

The Recknagel or Roedale rail fits on most. Have one on my L 579 Forester action.
edi

Hi there

have a left handed sako m591 I'm thinking bout turning to a NV rig

Would be easier for mounting NV scopes if pictinnay rail

think the ski dovetails are tapered.... Anybody done this or know where to buy correct adapters ?

paul

All this talk of drilling & tapping is off-beam.:doh:

It makes no difference if a Piccatinny Weaver rail is mounted onto Sako (tapered) or Tikka (straight) integral dovetail action mounts. You're not using these. Instead you're using the additional standard mounting holes already provided on the receiver ring and bridge FOR WEAVER MOUNTS OR RAILS (which are the standard 'U.S. mounts') every rifle maker provides. L591 actions have these, as do Tikka M595/M695/T3 actions.

If the holes on the rail don't line up (due to the spacing between the holes of the action) then get your Black and Decker out, and drill an extra pair of holes in the rail.

S'truth ... how complicated can this be?

On a Sako you will need to have the dovetail base milled off before you can drill into the receiver or you will have very high base rail before you even fit the mounts , i agree in having the receiver correctly drilled if you hav't the skills to use a drill and tap and tape , after all its only a center line and xyz points to drill 3 or 4 small holes and a countersink the holes on the rail but if the holes are there in the receiver just mark them out on your bit of rail and D.I.Y .
Ebay for the rail by the foot/mtr for peanuts so if you cock it up you can try again. its all made by the yard/mtr and cut up ready for sale .

Last edited:
On a Sako you will need to have the dovetail base milled off before you can drill into the receiver or you will have very high base rail before you even fit the mounts , i agree in having the receiver correctly drilled if you hav't the skills to use a drill and tap and tape , after all its only a center line and xyz points to drill 3 or 4 small holes and a countersink the holes on the rail but if the holes are there in the receiver just mark them out on your bit of rail and D.I.Y .
Ebay for the rail by the foot/mtr for peanuts so if you cock it up you can try again. its all made by the yard/mtr and cut up ready for sale .
The M591 is not drilled/tapped as standard. And agreed, the top of the dovetail benefits from a 'skim' but you don't want to take much off, there isn't a huge amount of meat at the front as is.

Pete

The M591 is not drilled/tapped as standard. And agreed, the top of the dovetail benefits from a 'skim' but you don't want to take much off, there isn't a huge amount of meat at the front as is.

Pete

Thankyou for putting me right.

The M4 2.5mm plug screws on the Sako M591 (the exact same part no. is quoted for Tikka's) are to fill the holes left by removal of the iron sights.

Tikka's are drilled and tapped for M3 screws for U.S (Weaver) mounts & rails, but Sako's are not.

Both makes have integral mounts, so this obviously made sense to someone at the time. :-|

ATB.

ok
there are no holes ontop of the dovetails at all....
so....
either get a rail and drill & tap & fit rail that way

or

can anyone tell me if the M591 dovetails are the same as a sako 75 / 85 ?

ive seen the previously posted inference fit 2 pieces IOr adapters.... although im wary of just having em taking a bite on the dovetail taper.

or heard of reckanegel rail from Alan Rhone ...but cant get em on phone as everyone getting ready for the british shooting show!

that would at least keep rifle "standard" I guess without drilling into it

just think may be easier getting such a rail or inference pieces , than finding someone capable local.

paul

Right
asked third eye tactical today regarding their 2 piece sako dovetails to pictinnay adapters, asking if they would fit ? They say no ?! No reason why given
i know my M591 has no holes at all on the flats ontop of the dovetails .... So I'm wondering do sako 75 & 85 have holes? Is that how they fixed and won't do mine
i know I'm a pain in the hoop but I want to know for sure before I buy something ..... I'm struggling to get someone local so the "slap a rail on & tap it " not main route I'm looking at

Hi Mate, did you get this sorted?
I am in the process of buying a Sako M591 with the IOR two piece picatinny rail on.
Did you end up with this option and has it worked for you?
Regards Toby

Hi Toby

I bought a rail from Alan Rhone that has the interference taper fit blocks under the rail to attach to the m591 dovetails

It's a .22-250 & I'm using a drone pro night vision scope ontop & I also have a fox firearms 4x16x50 day scope in Warne maxima QR rings for daytime plinking & load developing .
Can switch night to day & back ... No loss of zero so far ... Working well for me

Paul

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback. Will give it a try first then decide. Are there any alignment issues with the rail? How about height? I will be putting a S&B Zenith 3-12x50 on mine and dont want it too high.
regards Toby

Back