******* bmw!

thomas

Purchased a brand new BMW X1 4x4 just over a year ago for my wife, our ownership has been a catalogue of repairs and poor service!!

New timing chain.

New steering rack.

New clutch.

New fly wheel.

New starter motor.

Clearly all done under warranty, but for a one year old vehicle!!! It's also the time and inconvenience it causes! We have been very loyal BMW customers over the past 10 years, but it's now time for a change.

Mildly perplexed and bewildered rant over!

ATB

T

Last edited:
just be glad you didn't buy landrover, that list would be just the opening sentence!

I'd be interested to hear of your Landrover experience: age, model, problem/failures, customer service etc.

Regards,

Tim

I'd be interested to hear of your Landrover experience: age, model, problem/failures, customer service etc.

Regards,

Tim

oh no, Tim feels insulted and insecure beause of my comment..oh dear! I'm guessing you love your LR and think that the rust peeling off the side panels after 12 months is just adding character?...

had 4 between 1998 and 2007..no way I'm going to list what went wrong with them all..but customer service,,,What?! LOL...

since then I've driven 2nd hand volvo's, apart from a short stint with a Jeep GC that was a petrol-a-holic, and JAYB's pajero which is now a retired country/shooting car to avoid wearing it out on the long day journey's to work.
current volvo (v70) is on 544,000 and apart from a stone chip in the window,,showing no signs of wear.
LR, no Sir, not again, not Discovery, not Defender, not Range..

I think Merc, Volvo and Toyota's will probably be my household staples on the car front going forwards.

Did you buy it a year ago today ?
Friday afternoon car by the sounds of it.
Not fit for purpose.......throw it back at them and inform your finance company if you have one of the problem they have with their vehicle

Last edited:
oh no, Tim feels insulted and insecure beause of my comment..oh dear! I'm guessing you love your LR and think that the rust peeling off the side panels after 12 months is just adding character?...

had 4 between 1998 and 2007..no way I'm going to list what went wrong with them all..but customer service,,,What?! LOL...

since then I've driven 2nd hand volvo's, apart from a short stint with a Jeep GC that was a petrol-a-holic, and JAYB's pajero which is now a retired country/shooting car to avoid wearing it out on the long day journey's to work.
current volvo (v70) is on 544,000 and apart from a stone chip in the window,,showing no signs of wear.
LR, no Sir, not again, not Discovery, not Defender, not Range..

I think Merc, Volvo and Toyota's will probably be my household staples on the car front going forwards.

Flipping heck, have you put all them on it or at what mileage did you buy it?!!?!

I thought Land Rovers had aluminium panels. Mine certainly does - and it doesn't rust!

Regards,

Tim

why ? Do you work for landrover? If so I think I still have the file on my car , although a car has one purpose which is to transport you from a-b , something which my two discoverys comprehensively failed on !

I did have a 320td fot just over 5 years, never again,spent 1000s on it, german crap at its worst,

Had a brand new X5 and also a brand new M5 and never again will I purchase another with the after service it was unbelievable, We even purchased from different garages thinking it was just that garage but believe me it was BMW. I could write a book with the amount of problems. Good luck to any new buyers.

Absolutely hate BMW. I even went out of my way to nag my mother into changing her company cars away from BMW.
They screwed the British tax payers out of hundreds of millions of pounds, dumped hundreds of workers onto the scrap heap and forced many on the mini production lines onto short term contracts.

It really gets up my nose when I see a poncy wee mini dressed up in a Union Jack!

I did have a 320td fot just over 5 years, never again,spent 1000s on it, german crap at its worst,

Well my 320d just coming to three years old ,Has never missed a beat, 69 miles to the gallon , and go,s like a rocket five years free BMW servicing , may be its waiting for its warranty to run out

I thought Land Rovers had aluminium panels. Mine certainly does - and it doesn't rust!

yep my landy has aluminium panels too, so had all my grandfathers ..... but what I do wonder is how many Toyota, kia, Volvo, and any other make for that matter will still be going as there is a lot of landrovers 20+ years old still around, and also for 5000+ now if a kia or a Toyota could make it to that age how much would it be worth? but please people don't get me rong I have things I wish I could change on my landy..... like how you can drive it with out the window open..... its like a wind tunnel in side it, not very comfy on long drives etc, but I have has several people been in mine when I have had it in some odd places and thay have all said " only a land rover would get out of there" and most of them have had hilux, rodeo, navara, etc.

im afraid to say it but a landy defender is hard to beat as a off road and short journey truck... but lets face it... all cars, trucks, tractors, chainsaws, or what ever will all have there problems,

Hate to say it but they have had probs from start, the web is full of reviews from disgruntled owners...I feel for anyone with an unreliable car its got to be No1 on my list of pet hates, best serious 4x4 buy is by far a Toyota....:D

Total expenditure for the last TWO Landrover vehicles, over five years, one interior light bulb, & four sets of wipers, Oh, & a replacement for a busted number plate, but I still wouldn't go back, fuel economy shi*e, & the Jimny will go places even some of the best Landies would struggle.
& touch wood!, the Beemer bike is a real endorphin producer! (Must be careful not to pop wheelies in every cog!!):D

Last edited by a moderator:
Quality of German/French cars make an old LR look like a really good buy. How times change.
edi

BMW 325d had 3 years and disco 2 had over 2 years. Spanner never been on Beemer and all disco has had is a new locking mechanism on back door?? Both great motors. Each to their own!

My Freelander 2 is nearly 6 years old and 50,000 miles. It's never missed a beat. I'm not saying that it has had a hard life but it is my shooting/stalking/picking up and dog transporter so it's not just a Chelsea Taxi. It's a great and comfortable car and I will buy another. Depreciation isn't bad either. You could do a lot worse that's for sure.
Baguio

Back