Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: s type dies

s type dies

I been reading about these s type dies that just resize the case body but not yhe neck, this is done with the neck sizer, why would you do these processes seperately when you can get a s type fl die which does both, ive finally decided what my 308 will be rebarrelled into which is 6.5x47, do I need these fancy dies to get the best out of this cartridge, the more I read the more confusing it gets, comments please, atb swaro

Buy the full length s type with a bushing 2 thou for the neck

If you want to reload the best ammo you can for your 6.5x47 you should be looking at an Arbour press set up with Wilson style inline dies.

Ian.

Ok taylor thanks again, I will be using up all the 30 cal ammo and powder ive got before the rebarrel job, gives me a few months or so to get eveything in place etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    If you want to reload the best ammo you can for your 6.5x47 you should be looking at an Arbour press set up with Wilson style inline dies.

Ian.
    this is what I mean about getting confusing Ive managed to make some amaZingly accurate ammo with standard a fl and neck sizing dies Ian, ive heard of them but never seen them, is it really that much of a difference mate.

reading dies are very good but i just tried to find some and no one has any.ordered a reading bushing and comp seater from midway.not cheap but i want what i'm used too.wilson are meant to be the best but i have my rcbs press so might as well use it.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    this is what I mean about getting confusing Ive managed to make some amaZingly accurate ammo with standard a fl and neck sizing dies Ian, ive heard of them but never seen them, is it really that much of a difference mate.
    There is not a huge amount of difference in the results but for consistency they cant be beaten, the case is pushed fully into the die, unlike the standard dies where the rim is held in the shell holder.
    The dies are bushing type made to minimum saami spec so are particularly good for custom chambers but for the ultimate get your smith to cut a set of Wilson die blanks with the same reamer he cut your chamber with.
    These custom cut dies are usual the end result of an understanding of use and progression through standard dies, bushing dies, competition dies and standard Wilson inline dies.
    Standard Wilson dies are cheaper then Redding bushing dies and substantially cheaper then comp dies.
    Have a look HERE

TB.

Wilson are quick to use too and pack away into a small box. You can't fl size with them so you will also need a normal press.
    I also like the type s which I use for my 7mm08 but I like to have the separate body die and neck so I can get my Headspace just right and then sort out the tension.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

You can't go wrong with a Redding Type S full length bushing die (or the new Whidden FL bushing die too). It produces very straight cases. If you don't want a FL die then consider the Forster bushing bump neck die (sizes the neck with a bushing and bumps the shoulder, but leaves the body untouched) which a lot of the long range F/TR shooters use for their .308s - there is one for the 6.5x47 coming around May time I think.

The only 'improvement' on that that I would consider is to ditch the expander and do that as a separate step with a Sinclair/K&M/PMA type expander mandrel. I think it helps concentricity, but others may not find it necessary. Of course that means you would also need to deprime as a separate step too, either with a wilson punch or decapping die.

As for seaters, the wilson is good, but so are the micrometer adjustable seaters with the floating seating chamber/stem such as Forster Ultra, Redding Competition and the new Whidden Micrometer dies. This is an interesting read comparing runout from Wilson and Redding, as well as some other seating dies The Rifleman's Journal: Reloading: Seating Die Runout

Sounds like I need to go back to reloading school , now somebody has menrioned strait cases ive noticed when trimming and chamfering cases some dont spin true, can of worms opened lol