Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good God. I shot a Remington 700 tonight.

Good God. I shot a Remington 700 tonight.

Only because it was an interesting chambering. It was one of the new 700's in 300 AAC Blackout fitted with a suppressor. My buddy just picked it up yesterday but it was -22 F degrees yesterday so we waited until today when it got up to +5 F and was snowing. We only had a couple of boxes of Remington 125 grain super sonic ammo but it shot remarkably well despite a general white out between the muzzle and the 100 yard mark; about 1.2" for ten shots from an Atlas bipod.

It was a still a Remmy shooting Remmy ammo. (Yawn.) Heavy handloads will be more interesting. Here at least, it's deer legal.~Muir

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    the deer wont know if it has REM/WIN/SAKO stamped into the metal when the bullet kills it.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

It's an interesting calibre, I had someone order one to be put onto a Model 7 as he has one on an AR platfom already, but he does rate it. I quite like the .458 Socom as well, which I'll be building at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    It's an interesting calibre, I had someone order one to be put onto a Model 7 as he has one on an AR platfom already, but he does rate it. I quite like the .458 Socom as well, which I'll be building at some point.
    I did a lot of work with the nearly identical 30 Whisper ten years ago and enjoyed it. The rifle belonged to MarinePMI on this site and I worked up loads one year while he was, I think, in foreign places blowing things up. I have zero interest in the cartridge(s) as a vehicle for light bullets but for heavier sub-sonic rounds I find it an interesting proposition. The guy who owns the Rem 700 ordered a 235 grain bullet mold for it and plans to shoot nothing but cast bullets once he has wrung out the jacketed options. I can't blame him. It is a cartridge ideally suited for cast bullets. A subsonic load of Lil Gun generates 22LR type pressures.~Muir

PS: Another buddy of mine just got in his 458 SOCOM upper for his AR-15. No reports yet other than "JEEZ!! THIS BRASS IS EXPENSIVE!!!"
    Last edited by Muir; 08-02-2014 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

Good God. I shot a Remington 700 tonight.~Muir
    You must be sweating with the shame of it. Contrition deserve forgiveness, but not sure that I'll ever forget this.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    You must be sweating with the shame of it. Contrition deserve forgiveness, but not sure that I'll ever forget this.
    I hardly slept a wink last night, finally waking in the tangled knot of bedsheets that only the sleep of sinners can weave. I feel so.... dirty.~Muir

I run 2 loads in my 300aac Handi Rifle, a 115gr "soup can" cast boolit with 3.1gr of N310 for 25M indoor sub-sonic and a 168gr Nosler CC with 16.8gr of H110 at around 2000fps. Both very accurate
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Forgiveness for this vile act may be difficult to get!!!!

David

As an act of contrition, I just watched the aforementioned Remington 700 being shot last night. We took some handloads out in -10 F degrees weather with a bit of a breeze. (-30 F wind chill) My penance was to simply stand there behind the spotting scope while my friend attempted to get the rifle to function. The first loads of Accurate Arms 5744 were far to light and left powder residue in the chamber and throat, making seating difficult. About every third shot the moderator was removed and a rod run through the gun. The second load was an increased charge of same and it functioned a little bit better but still had problems. A factory round of Remington got stuck and then debulleted from the case when he extracted the case... prompting a detailed cleaning of the action and locking lug recesses. I finally figured out what was causing the hangups in chambering. Moisture / steam from the moderator was coming back through the chamber and freezing. We found one of the patches has ice crystals on it. When he shot faster the effects were lessened. Got a couple of groups in the 3/4" class but there was a lot of vertical stringing. In severe cold, odd things happen with small powder charges. A crimp die will be in tomorrow. That might work.

Or so the discussion went. In the cold. In the wind. As the sun set and it got progressively colder. And all the time I stood there with old frostbite flaring up on all my digits.
    I consider myself scourged.
    I hope the membership will forgive my transgression.~Muir

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Good God. I shot a Remington 700 tonight.

someone has too,

i don't like remingtons could you not have left it in the snow.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube