tikka T3 action throw change

jimmy milnes

Sorry guys if the title is wrong ast least I know what I mean lol.
what im after is a supplier where I can purchase the necessary to change the length of cycle on my t3 bolt as I've changed its calibre from a long to a short length case
Regards
Jimmy

Might be cheaper and quicker to manufacture a new bolt stop with the shorter stop position.
edi

Thanks edi that's what im after the part that determines how far the bolt comes back th chamber the next round, surely someone sells a conversation kit ..... if only I wss a engineer instead of a joiner lol
regards
Jimmy

i cant possibly see why you would want to ?

ive seen many mauser 98 actions including safari magnums in in long and short action IMO you making more cost and work for yourself

Hi lee, I know exactly what your saying when you say why bother but ive gone from 25/06 to 6.5/47 and, well its just not as it should be is it dragging the bolt all that way when I dont need to. Yes im being picky but rights right and all that there.
Regards
Jimmy

Hi lee, I know exactly what your saying when you say why bother but ive gone from 25/06 to 6.5/47 and, well its just not as it should be is it dragging the bolt all that way when I dont need to. Yes im being picky but rights right and all that there.
Regards
Jimmy

Like.... six tenths of an inch?
You're a gunsmiths dream date.;) ~Muir

Yea but work that out in milliseconds or should that be microseconds Muir and over the life of the rifle it could add up to a whole second in time.:rofl:

Well im single Muir if ya know any female gunsmiths send them my way and tell them im the type that does things right so they won't be disappointed !!!! Lol oh yeah an ask if shed be bothered about top side of half inch extra lol
Regards
Jimmy

Surely if you shorten the cycle it won't pick up the back of the case head from the mag or mag well?

Surely if you shorten the cycle it won't pick up the back of the case head from the mag or mag well?

The spacer block is at the rear of the T3 magazine Brewsher as opposed to the spacer being in the front on a 595.

I'm sure there are at least two different bolt stops in the T3. Those who convert from say 308 to 30-06 must get the longer bolt stop lever.
I bet there are some short ones lying around with gunsmiths after conversions.
edi

three mag lengths, two bolt stops. long mag has one bolt stop which allows it all the way back. medium uses another which allows the bolt the right throw. short uses the same as medium and there is over travel of the bolt.

to change the long release button to short: Remove bolt stop, clean off paint, built-up with weld, file into shape, paint, replace.

If you want bolt travel correct for the short mag, that would involve a custom bolt stop with modification of the action. I.E. the release button recess machined further forward and corresponding release button made.

The spacer block is at the rear of the T3 magazine Brewsher as opposed to the spacer being in the front on a 595.

Sorry 8x57, but the spacer is at the back of both.

The T3 is a cheaper design derived from the M595/M695 for mass production...... so it replicates the M595 medium action by using an M695-length-action with a (12mm longer) bolt stop insert to limit the rearward bolt travel.

The spacer section is at the rear of the magazine in common with all long actions (.30-06 size) chambered for medium (.243-.308 size) cartridges. I'm no expert, as I've only ever had Heym SR20N, and Tikka M65 'over-length' actions for these cartridges, but both actions used a rear spacer.

I sympathise with the OP. A long action doesn't usually eject medium cartridges as well as a truncated action designed for them. Also - without the proper length bolt stop, the unrestrained bolt-throw delivers the sharp rear cocking pin on the T3 nearer to your vulnerable nose-end. This can be painful if you've forgotten to jerk your head back in time.

You are quite right Sinistral - brain fart on my part. I was visualising the .222rem 595 that I had and for some reason convinced myself the spacer was in the front when in fact it was at the back of the magazine. I now recall that it had an interesting habit of dropping an empty case into the void at the front of the magazine when I opened the bolt slowly so as to not throw the case some distance away.

Back